Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Coconut husk

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Coconut husk

What is your experience on potting in coconut husk. I got my orchids in january and they needed repotting. And I used Potting Up mix which is mainly coconut husk. I have been watering once a week and now I started noticing the roots are not doing well and the medium is molding. Pretty scary. I repoted them immediately, cutting off all the rotten roots and I kept them dry for few days and than gave them a little spray of water. Did not soak them wet though.

I did some search on the internet and found that coconut husk is prone to molding. I watch the orchids every day, the leaves look just fine, some of the pseudobulbs are shriveling. Most of them have new roots half an inch long.

What should I do at this point?

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

Many growers are now using CHC (Coconut Husk Cips) because they last much longer than traditional wood chips and they retain moisture longer. So the key is not to water as frequently as one otherwise would. But for this reason (water retention) many people don't like them. Like so much with growing orchids, you have to find yourcomfort zone and use what feels good to you. Many people swear by sphagum moss, I have a problem with it.....I's sure you get the point.....good luck growing.....

Thank you for your reply. I'll just have to figure out what is the best time to water. Hopefully there will be quick recovery for the ones affected the most. I just want them to make it. I don't might them being set back in any way. But I don't want them to die. That's why I asked for help.

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

Because you may have a mold/fungal problem, you may want to spray with an antifungal that can be purchased at any big box store or garden center. Or you may want to re-pot in new medium and risk losing the flowers...they'll grow back next year and your plant will live. Most reccomend watering in the early AM so they will dry to some degree by nightfall. And be careful not to leave water in the crown overnight....I've lost several to my indiscretion with watering and crown rot is nasty! I hope they will recover by growing keikis this summer...time wil tell

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

The biggest problem with chc is that it is full of salt that needs to be removed.But washing/rinsing in water will not do the job.

If anyone wants the instructions ,Please use the link below as the file is too big to load onto here

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sp...ds/coconut.pdf
    Last edited by orchid-man; February 29th, 2008 at 02:32 AM.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis cymbidium dendrob

I bought some plants from a grower over here who uses nothing else. they are all fine, but I also bought some to replant and the Nelly Isler went backwards from the time I put her in it. It could just be a coincidence, but I feel plants with fine roots would be better in a finer mix.

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JUDIUK View Post
    I bought some plants from a grower over here who uses nothing else. they are all fine, but I also bought some to replant and the Nelly Isler went backwards from the time I put her in it. It could just be a coincidence, but I feel plants with fine roots would be better in a finer mix.

The most likely reason the plant went backwards will be the salt.

I now have most of my collection in chc and they are going very.

make use of the I posted above.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Like them all.
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by orchid-man View Post
    The biggest problem with chc is that it is full of salt that needs to be removed.But washing/rinsing in water will not do the job.

If anyone wants the instructions ,Please use the link below as the file is too big to load onto here

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sp...ds/coconut.pdf
    Where do you buy calcium nitrate?

The biggest problem with chc is that it is full of salt that needs to be removed. But washing/rinsing in water will not do the job. If anyone wants the instructions, please use the link below as the file is too big to load onto here: http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sp...ds/coconut.pdf
    I bought the coconut husk in prepared mix and the directions say: "soak for an hour before use to activate & hydrate the ingredients."

Is it really true that this orchid mix might be potantially toxic to orchids? Was it maybe pretreated and soaked for an hours before being sold?

I potted all my orchids in this mix. So now I am really wondering what to do!!!!

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice View Post
    Where do you buy calcium nitrate?
    Thats the hardest item to get.Normally its purchased from commercial horticultural suppliers.I have not had to use it as the Epsom salts on its own seems to do the job