Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Gnats and Medium

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Fadi
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums

Default Gnats and Medium

Hi Everyone,

I got a Phal in bloom (Two spikes) as a present 10 days ago. It only has two flowers that bloomed and the rest are on their way bloom hopefully(blooms are developing at different stages).

The problem is that I always go home in the evening and I find gnats on top of the medium. I sprayed twice the top of the medium with alcohol but of course the problem persists because the source is probablly deep inside the medium. It is potted in Peat. Well, this is the first Orchid that I have that is potted in this medium. One day I also noticed there was some sort of web.

So, I wanted to know what is the best course of action for me to take since i also don't want the gnats moving to my other Orchids. I thought of repotting in cocnut husk(pre-washed), but there is a possibility that the flowers would blast. I forgot to mention that one bud already blasted two days ago.

I would appreciate any advice on what to do..

Thanks

Fadi

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Fadi,

I would repot. If you do it carefully without much disturbance of the roots, you probably will not loose buds. You could also pour a poison through the medium, but my first action would be to repot and throw away the peat. If you did loose the buds this time, it is better than loosing the plant. Good luck.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Fadi
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums

Thanks Bruce for your reply!
    I already have some Phals in bloom. So I think I prefer to take the risk of this one's blooms blasting as long as keep it in good health I will re-pot it on Friday.

Have a good day

Fadi

I have repotted Phals in bloom without problems. I have also used yellow sticky traps to capture them on a temporary basis. Might be a good precaution to capture any that may have already escaped.

Real Name
    Mary
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya William Farrell
    Member's Country Flag

I concur, you need to get rid of that peat. Make sure you wash the roots carefully with warm water and prune away any dead roots before repotting. Since you mentioned webbing, you might also want to wipe on the bottom side of the leaves with a wet paper towel. If the towel turns reddish brown you have spider mite and need to go with a systemic to get rid of them.
    ischel

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

I almost always repot my phals and dens due to bugs and awful sphagnum moss. Don't worry about blasting a few buds. The plant will reward you next time with healthy long lived flowers instead of a half dead plant that takes forever to recover. I should do a post from a few of my sicko's. Note; we all kill a few before we figure out what we are doing. So hang in there....
    Connie

Real Name
    Fadi
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums

Thanks a lot for all the great advice. I have actually prepared all the necessary supplies and soaked the new medium, so that I can actually re-pot it tonight. I thought the sooner I do it, the better it is for the plant.
    Ron: I will try to find some yellow sticky traps. I hope I can find some in Jerusalem
    Ischel and Connie: thank you for your replies.

I will keep you guys updated tomorrow on the status of the plant once I see the roots and the hidden mess!

Cheers

Fadi

Real Name
    Fadi
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums

Default Phal has been repotted

I just wanted to update you guys on the repotting. I finished doing but with some difficulty. The roots were really stuck to the peat medium, but to my surprise, non of the roots were rotting! I imagined that it would be a mess...

Anyways, I cleaned the roots with warm water and then used a diluted anti fungal treatment and soaked the roots for about ten minutes, I also cleaned and treated the leaves just in case. There was no residue on the cotton, so that made me relax a bit.

And finally I repotted in coconut husk. I just have one question about the new medium. I squeezed some of the water out of it before using it so should I water anytime soon or should I wait till it dries up? Also, should I keep the plant in low light or should I keep the good lighting, just in case the rest of the buds on the spikes decide growing and blooming?

Thanks

Fadi