Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paphiopedilum spicerianum var giganteum

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum and species
    Member's Country Flag

Default Paphiopedilum spicerianum var giganteum

Hello everyone. Just wondering if I may ask your critique on whether to show this one this year? This photo was last year's effort and did not think of showing it then, but some friends/judges are keen to see it this year...
    What do you think?
    If not for critique, by all means I hope you like the photo.
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice bloom!

As for showing it, it's worth a chance, right? An opinion is merely an opinion, you can take the same plant and try everywhere else, and get many different opinions. I personally like yours, and many of the Paph. spicerianum I see are not as well shaped!

I do not show orchids (can't take the rejection of a plant ), but comparing it to a select Paph. spicerianum I purchased (OZ origin), some of the criteria for this species might be:
    Wider petals, more "in-line", but still retains waviness
    Dorsal very large and somewhat flat, with a good shaped "nun's cap"
    Staminodial shield is not crooked and well formed
    Labellum is of good size, wider pouch is good, also aligned with the staminodial shield
    Colors and striations are also important, the vibrant greens and colorful browns/reds are definitely good
    How the flower is borne is another thing. If it's upside down or cocked, then maybe a lesser chance for an award.
    The plant itself should be in good shape, the more growths, the better chance to pick up at least one of those CCM/AOS (is that what I'm thinking of?)

Again, it's all a matter of opinion. If one of my Paph. vietnamense were to be displayed in a local show (with AOS judges), I may be offered an AOS award (doubtful) or at least some local society awards since it is a fairly new species to be displayed. The flower may be of a non-select plant, just a typical washed out bloom for the species... it's just the "fad" for the time being. It will be comparable when some of these new Phrag. kovachii start blooming. No matter what the shape or coloration is, they are definitely going to get some mad awards and comments. 10 years from now, it will be more competitive, similar to Phrag. besseae and getting an award for it.

In the end, it's all fun. People look for different qualities in orchids, and may have a different opinion for what that species should look like. I personally enjoy the more "natural" forms of Paphiopedilum species, and occasionally jump for a very select plant. In Pleurothallids, (except for Masdevallia and segregates and Dracula), there really aren't that many discriminating factors between plants of the same species, as typically they are all nearly identical within a species (except for color ranges).

Okie, enough rambling, it's definitely a great bloom and definitely worth showing! Do you have a pic of this season's blooming?

-Pat

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Wow! Pat! that is probably the most fantastic reply and critique ever. I so appreciate it. and I totally agree with you in saying that it is just a bit of fun and things should be taken light heartedly. I too admire the more natural forms in species and am hoping that judges may lean toward that, but if not, I will still enjoy the little guy at home on my coffee table.
    Judging is a funny business, lots of politics and personal vendettas in most cases and hence why I stayed away from that stuff for years, but now I feel more apt to having a plant rejected or appraised. I recently had another Paph awarded and that was nice, but what a process!!!!
    I am glad you liked the flower and will post the new offering this year for you to look at when it opens as it is only about 5 cm high at the moment and i need to start training it so that it displays well.
    Hopefully he will shape up well but have had horror blooms this year due to a very big move in the last 12 months from Sydney to Melbourne....so we'll see.
    Thank you so much for your time and critique, it really mens a lot.
    Cheers

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I think it is a very nice spicerianum. The colour is quite vivid on it.

Unfortunately what is in fashion for AOS judges are flat wide blooms. If you ever get the chance to find a photo of an AOS awarded spierianum. they have quite a wider dorsal (sometimes flat!), perhaps a bit odd even b/c they lose their natural elegance of a curved dorsal. (Rumors are that some of them are actually hybrid paph Bruno)

Of course horticultural awards are always welcome if it is well grown!

Anyway it will be an excellent plant to add dynamic to an plant display. At my society, all plant are welcome (except for sick ones), because we need them to make a show. It does not mean all of them get awarded. Only around 5 plants get awarded AOS each year here out of many. You may get a society ribbon. At society judging we gave this tranlienianum (a similar sp.) an society ribbon (I belive second place):

(the aluminum foil was hideous. It would have been a cool contemporary design, but it was made of materials too cheap!)

Real Name
    Mary
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya William Farrell
    Member's Country Flag

Wow, that just makes me want to jump up and cheer. I'm no expert, but I say show it!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Show it! Beautiful photo as well!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

How long do those flowers last? Very Nice One! Show it.
    Connie

Connie,

Typically, a Paph. spicerianum can last for over a month. A plant of this species that belongs to Dr. Luer blooms for almost 2 and a half months, which is pretty incredible! It definitely a good addition to one's collection, especially for a beginner!

-Pat

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks everyone. I will give it a shot this year. The bloom is about 2-3 weeks away from opening so will post any news then.
    Wish us luck!!!
    cheers

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cjcorner View Post
    How long do those flowers last? Very Nice One! Show it.
    Connie
    Thank you. The flowers last for me about 2-3 months if I keep it fairly cool and shaded. About as long as insigne and a little more than micranthum.
    Give one a go, they are very small plants and don't take up much room.
    Cheers
    Last edited by ozorchid; March 28th, 2008 at 04:10 AM. Reason: wrote weeks instead of months