Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuzzy Semi Hydro

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Richard
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Oncs, Neos, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Default Fuzzy Semi Hydro

I've recently (March 16) moved this Paph into semi-hydroponics and the top of the pebbles are getting fuzzy. Is this a normal thing that happens because of the constant moisture or is there anything else going wrong here?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Giovanna Diliquay
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis Species.
    Member's Country Flag

I have seen fuzzy s/h pellets only once before, I had deflasked some violacea seedlings in a s/h compot and kept them in a plastic container with the lid on and off temporarily. The temp was moderate (maybe 22C?) and the natural light was medium in intensity. I had left the pellets in a very mild chlorine solution then rinsed it off 2 times before i potted the seedlings. From the start they were not doing good...I had noticed that some, while in flask, had some black root and tossed them before compoting them in s/h.
    At first I thought it was due to the transplant stress and that they needed more moisture so I closed the lid. Just one day after the transplant, there was this fuzz growing from each seedling around it...the media was damp, but not in a way an orchid wouldn't mind, actually it would thrive.
    Within 2 days all the seedlings were dead with fuzz in the bottom part of the crown and on the surface of the medium. Most of the damage was near the point where the crown ends and roots form, which had deteriorated like chantilly left out of the fridge in the summer.

Real Name
    Jenny
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

I have about ten plants in S/H here and have not had that problem. HOWEVER, I am in an extremely arid climate where mold is not a usual thing!

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

I have several plants in s/h as well and I've never seen fuzzy mold like that. Hmm..I'm wondering how this will affect the plant. Does it need a soaking in Physan and a repot in sterilized media? I would do that. What would you others do?

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

That looks like mold.

You should probably take the plant out temporarily and treat the pellets with bleach or antifungal solution.

Mold could set in due to several reasons. Too cold, the air is too stagnant, not enough light, etc.

Did you make sure to really clean the roots of all bark/organic media before going into s/h? bark/chc/ etc will rot for sure in s/h. Also be prepared that the old roots may die (new ones will grow), and you may have to clean the pot weekly for a few weeks until this stops. You will easily know if you start to smell something stinky! It took about a month for a phrag I moved to s/h to finally settle in - I would wash and trim off dead roots every week (or 2X/week until no more smell. Then, soon after, I saw root growth everywhere!

But I too agree with the advice above - unpot, clean everything (I have not had the need to use physan myself, soapy water should do the job to clean the media), and repot.

good luck!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidium alliance

I have had that happen once on an S/H plant. We are very good at growing all sorts of mold and moss here.

In any case, bad news is, that plant eventually died, though I don't think that was the cause. Are you misting the surface? That might cause it some, though I have 4 others in S/H, three of which like to be misted and none of them have had the fuzzies. Sorry I'm not more help - I guess I would also try to either dry things out or wash and clean everything thoroughly.

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

I just started using SH, two of my recently potted up plants developed this type of mold (and boy is it driving my allerigies crazy!) The containers were new, Hydroton new and soaked, and the plants roots had been washed clean of old media. very strange

Never knew that mold would show up on rocks...

The local hydro store didn't have Physan in stock as they say no one buys it, so I had to mail order; should be here midweek.

danny

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Hi danny,
    Are you flushing your s/h pots out regularly?
    I have only seen white fuss/ minerals (not fungus) in my pots when I didn't flush.
    Now, I usually flush my phals every/ second watering, and I have had no problems with salt built up, but you've only had your plants in s/h for less than a month?
    My suggestions: flush, increase air movement, and all the above... physan etc

Let us know how things work out!
    All the best!

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

Miki,

I flush out the pot at every watering; most of my plants are in SH and i've only had this happen with the 2 newest plants i've repotted. I used the Physan the other day at half strength, but today the mold is back. Maybe time to use the full dose.
    btw, I grow under lights, 50% RH, 70 to 75 degrees daytime, ceiling fan always going.