Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Sad Paphs

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Real Name
    Richard
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Oncs, Neos, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Default Sad Paphs

As you can see some of the Paphs have drooping leaves while others are not. When they were in bloom (just when I purchased them) they were all perky and pointing their leaves slightly upwards. Is there anything I can do to get them back to that kind of position? Am I possibly watering them too little? They're watered every weekend and fertilized about every 2 weeks. The recent temperatures range from 60 to 80 and the humidity is mostly around 50-60%.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

The jogjae looks pretty sad - pull it out and check the roots. Could be under watered or could be rotted roots. It can probably be saved. The Ho Chi Minh looks okay to me.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I agree, the jogjae looks like it may have some root issue, but the others look fine.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Richard
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Oncs, Neos, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Sorry, I probably should have specified which ones I was concerned about. The Jogjae has really taken a turn for the worst. The other is the Minnie May in bark mix which has leaves of which the patterns are clouded/scrambled/unclear compared to the one in S/H and they both used to be in the same pot. They separated accidentally when I was repotting them and decided to keep them apart. The Ho Chi Minh is doing fine though.

Real Name
    Fren
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phrags, Paphs, Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I would unpot them and check out the roots. You maybe over watering or possibly water is wicking into the pot from the humidity tray. I checked my plants from the same vendor just now and they have a absorptive paph mix. It has finely chopped sphag, but it is a good paph mix still.

Under diff. conditions mottled leaves will make different patterns, though I don't think the Minnie May is particularly attractive compared to its S/H division. I've never had a two growth plant divide on its own. It might have been rotted before, and needs time to bounce back with a larger root system. The growth in the pot is the younger one.

If the roots are fine, then you are underwatering. HMC survives drought easily b/c of its leathery leaves. I have doubts about underwatering b/c this vendor's paph mix is moisture rententive. Underwatering does little damage unless it is to the extreme

Huge root systems are always my goal. Mixes with high amounts of charcoal, perlite, sponge rock (and other inorganics, I've read sand before) do the best, if you forget to repot and mix decays because its aerated. Grow some paphs hard, nearly like a epiphyte, and the root growth is great, sometimes you can't pull them out of their pot. I can't pull my insigne and Michael Koopowitz out of pot anymore so I am skipping repotting for now, the inorganics should keep the mix from compacting. (now I need them to bloom!) Parvi and Brachy respond similarly, though maudiae types can take more moisture so I add more organics (like chopped sphag or peat).
    Since glaucophyllum x glanduliferum is multifloral, I would give it a grittier mix than it is in now, once it bounces back. glanduliferum can ocassionally grow on trees...

I have my mistakes too....My screwed up a batch of maudiae types recently because they were planted in %100 bark, which rotted but looked fine on top. I should always check what a vendor plants his stuff in and make sure there is perlite/sponge rock

....unpot paphs frequently as most don't mind. (There are exceptions though) I used to do it more often
    Last edited by smartie2000; April 22nd, 2008 at 09:58 PM.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

definitely check the roots. if they're dry but viable then it's simply underwatering. but usually plants that go on a rapid downward spiral have rotten roots. repot into a tiny pot, and up the humidity and lower the light.

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

I just noticed the humidity trays with pebbles...could the plant be wicking water from this source and rotting the roots?

IMHO, humidity trays are a waste of time....