Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Den dying?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Unhappy Den dying?

I have a den. uniwai beauty which I bought a couple of months ago. It had four canes, one of which was a new one. Well, that one grew and made one leaf. Now, the canes' leaves are yellowing and now the new one's leaves are starting to yellow and fall off as well. After that happens, assuming they all fall off, will that mean this den. is doomed? That will make it an orchid without any leaves on any canes...is that bad?

Did you say the new growth is still growing?

Lisa

Well, I'm not sure now...the bottom leaves on that one are starting to yllow and fall off, also. However, a woman put a classified in the local paper that she had orchids and exotic plants for sale. So I called her right away, of course . I went there and she had, literally, hundreds of orchids. Mostly dens, catts and hybrids, some species, oncidiums, etc. She had been doing it since the 70's.

I was floored, but I couldn't afford the more mature ones...
    Back to the point, I took a look at her orchids for comparison purposes and noticed that they were ugly! They were all wrinkly and black dotty--and she had had them for years! So, I didn't feel so bad. Also, her mediums were getting algae (again, mature plants she had for years) and were moist. So, now I'm totally confused. They were all outside. I'm so green with envy. I did get three one year old catts that had previously bloomed and getting new sheaths. I wish I could've gotten more. I felt like a kid in a candy store! :lemmetell:lemmetell:lemmetell:lemmetell

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cattlover
    I have a den. uniwai beauty which I bought a couple of months ago. It had four canes, one of which was a new one. Well, that one grew and made one leaf. Now, the canes' leaves are yellowing and now the new one's leaves are starting to yellow and fall off as well. After that happens, assuming they all fall off, will that mean this den. is doomed? That will make it an orchid without any leaves on any canes...is that bad?
    sounds like that plant needs to be repotted immediately. the leading cause of a drastic change like this is probably root rot. pseudobulbs can provide the energy for new root growth. dormant buds should still be viable in most cases and will send up new growth in time.

Real Name
    Loventana Lo
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too many to mention
    Member's Country Flag

Some dendrobiums are deciduous. They drop off all thier leaves before flowering, and then send off new shoots after the flowers died. As long as the canes remain green, don't give up on them.

Tanya

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I agree with Jmoney and would repot this den to make sure the roots are not rotting away. Keep us posted!

Cheers!
    Brutal_Dreamer

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

Yeah, check the roots. What are the conditions of the canes? Green, yellow? Shriveled, not shriveled? I know that den canes can get shriveled if they're underwatered or overwatered. Without good roots, they're unable to take in more water so the canes start getting wrinkled and creased. If your canes are plump and green, then it may be OK. But, however, to be on the safe side, examine the roots. Root rot is a possiblility.

Why would you guys suggest repotting of all things? Anyway, I mounted it this weekend. IT's down to 3 leaves, and the bottom leaf is starting to yellow at the tip. Other than that, I think it looks ok.

Root rot is black mushy roots, right? Or does it look like anything else? TIA

oh, also, the new cane has stopped growing. In other words. there were no more new leaves.

I am thinking of potting it again, tho.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

a high percentage of cultural problems in general are root-derived. if a plant isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing, and there's no clear reason for it (i.e. rot), then i repot. most of the time i'll find my answer--hollow, mushy roots. even if the roots are fine, it's not an exercise in futility because now you *know* the roots are fine. and if the roots are fine, they won't usually mind a little gentle repotting. exceptions apply, of course, some plants like vandas or whatever hate to have their roots disturbed. that's just what i suggest, others may agree or disagree.