Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What camera do you use?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Encyclias

Default What camera do you use?

I have a Nikon 5700 but really want a Nikon D300. Maybe one day I will be able to afford it but not just yet.

My 5700 does a pretty good job if I get the settings just right. It was my first new camera and I have really enjoyed it.

Shann~

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

My 'good' camera is an Olympus Camedia E-10. I use it with a tripod and love it. It is too heavy to really take on vacation, so I also have a small cannon Powershot SD800 IS. It works great with the macro setting for getting close to the orchid bloom.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Right now my primary camera is a Canon PowerShot S5 IS. It is about 2/3 the size of the Canon EOS dSLR and 1/4th the price, but has most of the features that I will ever need.

Prior to that, my main camera for staged photographs is a film Canon Rebel 2000. I bought it before Digital cameras got their act together and for years it created better quality photos compared to digital cameras.
    Once the digital cameras started crossing into 6+ megapixel territory, I started using my film camera less and less.
    With my new PowerShot S5 IS, I no longer need my film camera.

I also have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-U60 which for some time was my primary digital camera. Again, with the acquisition of the new PowerShot S5 IS this is now a back up camera.
    If you want a point-and-shoot digital camera that is tougher than the photographer, this one is for you. Waterproof (underwater down to 5 feet), edges have rubber padding, the camera is airtight so it is dust/sand/mud proof. On land, there are better digital cameras out there. But this is one that you can take on boating trips, and can actually dive in the water with you - lets see the D300 do that lol

The Nikon D300 (and D60) were on my wish list too, along with the Canon EOS dSLR but they were just waaaay too expensive for me. Not to mention that I need my own luggage crew to haul the Canon EOS dSLR around

Real Name
    Giovanna Diliquay
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis Species.
    Member's Country Flag

I too plan to get the Canon powershot S5. It's at a great price (currently at 309 euro) and has great features for a dslr. My photographic experience comes from my first (and current) camera is a Canon powershot G1. At the time, it was one of the few dslrs on the market, when cameras were either bad quality "point-and-shoot" types or very, very expensive slrs that felt like having a deer hanging on your neck.
    I haven't faced serious problems with this camera...It has survived through snow, rain, salty water spray, sweat, staying in a car at 50C in full sun, falls (most serious was from the top of our rental car in germany). That is why I intend to get yet another canon powershot.
    Goes to show that getting a good camera keeps you content for many years.

I am using an Olympus SP-350 but desperately want a d-SLR. I can't get decent pics of my minis and I need to control the depth of field better but what I have is working fairly good for the moment.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill

In the recent months I've been borrowing my partner's Olympus E-510. I like it so much I think I'll have to get one for myself because. Plus bf is not impressed with me monopolising his camera

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

When I go out for a photo-shoot (which I haven't done in a while) I generally take my 35+ yr old (formly my dad's) Canon FT as it still takes better pics than the digitals and I usually go with friends who have dSLRs so they can shoot what I can't. Major disadvantages: it really is a heavy sucker and as it is manual everything it is harder to catch fast moving objects.

Otherwise I've been using an inexpensive Pentax Optio 555. All the pics I've posted here on OT -- with only a few exceptions -- have been taken with it. I'd REALLY love to get a dSLR but haven't had $ to do so. *sigh*

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

I've been a Nikon guy for more years than I care to recount... I've owed the very old Nikon F, then the F2 and...well, you get the picture So when the digital bug got me, I searched for the best deal on a Nikon D80 because anything above that was just too pricy for my usage. I purchased a package that included the Nikkor 18mm~55mm zoom and the 55mm~200mm zoom. While Nikon is weighs a bit more than Canon, I really like this camera and for the price, unless you use the camera professionally for work my opinion is that the D200 or D300 dosen't offer much more for the money. I must say, I did purchase separately a Sigma 105mm Macro lens for half the price of the Nikkor version and also LOVE this lens...in fact, unless I'm doing "me too" pics, it is about the only lens I use!

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

I used to be a Canon person and still own a good old fashioned F1,though it hasnt been used for quiet some time.The digital has bitten me also and my latest camera is a Kodak ZD710 that I picked up on a special price.
    The feature I like most with this camera is that it has a 10x optical zoom. unlike most digital camera that only have a 3-4 x .I also like the manual setting ability of this camera as well.

Just to give you an ideal on the quality of this little camera

First up is a pier that used to fish off.Its 192m in length
    Name:  cornwallis 1.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  128.7 KB

Just using the optical zoom this is what I got.
    Name:  cornwallis 2.JPG
Views: 719
Size:  117.3 KB

and a couple of plants that are in flower for me at the moment

Onc forbesii
    Name:  onc.forbesii.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  151.3 KB

and Wils Bonne Nuit X Odm bictonense which was breed here in New Zealand by a man named Alf Day.
    Name:  Wils Bonne Nuit.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  122.8 KB

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Great photos, Murray!! That zoom is amazing on your camera.

Cheers,
    BD