Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: I feel sick-whole collection in jeopardy

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default I feel sick-whole collection in jeopardy

Storms are expected at this time in florida. I have all of my orchids-alittle over 100 on my non screened patio . The rain was literally blowing sideways into the patio, thrashing around most of them. The aftermath-WATER covering everything, all in the leaf axils, in new growths-Vandas, Grammatophyllums, dendrobiums, paphs, phals, cattleyas, oncidiums, the list goes on and on-and convienently right before nightfall and our temp drop.
    I try my best when watering not to let any water drop on my plants. To take cutips and tissue paper and wick out all the water would take from now until tomorrow morning for that many plants.
    So for all you outside growers hanging plants under trees etc. WHen it rains, do you see yellow leaves and rot a few days later? WHat makes some plants rot under these conditions and some thrive? Such a shame, I've spent years building up my collection and never had something like this happen-crazy.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

That is the pits know what u mean .I have very few outside here in Mo. we have been having a lot of rain and hail .. can you set a fan on them if not raining now ? that would help dry faster . Gin

out in the wild, it can rain at any time of the day...the important thing is good air circulation.

Real Name
    Kelly
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandas and Catts

^ I agree. If they are outside they should be ok, assuming the air is not stagnant. In jungles it rains in the middle of the night...it's natural. It takes a fairly consistent accumulation of moisture plus stagnant and/or cold air to kill an orchid.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Yep, keep the air moving around them and they should do ok. Best of luck to you.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Cin
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

I grow everything outside. I try to keep most orchids hanging as they have better air circulation. I treat with the blue bottle every 2-4 weeks depending on the rain fall and humidity. I water with the hose and don't use the Q'tips. I have to say in my grow house it is a live or die situation. I also have lots of chids growing in trees that hardly ever
    get watered or treated and they do better than the somewhat pampered babies.
    Cin

Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

The other thing that comes to mind and may help....some may think this over kill, but my outside hangers are under a gigantic very old oak tree....a real oak not your Florida Live Oaks...and because of it, I guess, I get lots of mold on the deck and I assume the chids, too. So following a rain I spray with RD-20 (Physan 20) and hope the breeze continues....

Real Name
    Maria
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

I'm in georgia, we have lots of rain now too. A month ago I thought they would all croak after two weeks of major storms, but they have lots of new growth. Some hang, others sit on a shelf and all seem to be doing well despite the direct waterfall! Good Luck!!!!