Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Another* grow light Question

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default *Another* grow light Question

I have a fixture that has 250w MH and 250w HPS. I can plug them in seperately. What I am curious about is:
    Would it be feasible to have one light on at a time and alternate bulbs, either daily, weekly, or monthly? Or is 250w not enough oomph to make them do anything? Thanks!

that depends. If you have all your plants properly spaced and spaced unde r the light 250 would be fine, but if you want to cover a wider area better to have them both going.

Is the 250w HPS bulb for vegative & flower growth ?

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest
    that depends. If you have all your plants properly spaced and spaced unde r the light 250 would be fine, but if you want to cover a wider area better to have them both going.
    I have my higher light plants placed directly under the fixture, and the lower light plants on the outskirts. Seedlings and cool growing plants o the bottom shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by uncasteeb
    Is the 250w HPS bulb for vegative & flower growth ?
    High pressure sodium is for growth and metal haldade is for flowering.

Traci, I have the same setup as you. Sun System right? I burn both together. I have the light suspended about 40" above a square growing area of 36". That's my prime real estate. Cattleyas and brassavolas and other higher light orchids are up on pots to get them closer. Higher light paphs are flat on the table. Oncidiums are somewhere in between. Lower light plants (certain paphs, phals, miltoniopsis) are a bit further out and get good light, but from more of an angle. Fan and humidifier (fogger, actually) 24/7. Do you have good heat control? 500 watts does generate a lot.

If you have a lot of higher light plants (cattleyas and up), and you can disperse the heat and keep humidity up, you'll be happier with the results from more light. At least that has been my experience. I started with a 250 watt fixture and quickly replaced it with the 250+250.

All that said, experimenting will tell you what is best for you. Enjoy!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Aerides
    Traci, I have the same setup as you. Sun System right? I burn both together. I have the light suspended about 40" above a square growing area of 36". That's my prime real estate. Cattleyas and brassavolas and other higher light orchids are up on pots to get them closer. Higher light paphs are flat on the table. Oncidiums are somewhere in between. Lower light plants (certain paphs, phals, miltoniopsis) are a bit further out and get good light, but from more of an angle. Fan and humidifier (fogger, actually) 24/7. Do you have good heat control? 500 watts does generate a lot.

If you have a lot of higher light plants (cattleyas and up), and you can disperse the heat and keep humidity up, you'll be happier with the results from more light. At least that has been my experience. I started with a 250 watt fixture and quickly replaced it with the 250+250.

All that said, experimenting will tell you what is best for you. Enjoy!

John
    Yes, I remember you having it, matter of fact, I didn't know they exsisted until you mentioned it. I like it so much. I have a pretty high powered oscillating fan on all the time, and have a humidifier running when the light is on. Other than that, the humidity goes up 10% natually when the light is off. I have my set up in the basment, which actually had too much humidity, pipes srip if we don't run the humidifier . Very confusing, on end of the basment we are fighting off humidity, the other end I'm working to keep it! Today hasn't been bad, 60% without either humidifier or dehumidifier.

You know what I was thinking of doing, buying 2 seperate timers. Have HPS bulb go one and have the HM go on a few hours later. I just worry going back to work in a few more days that my plants will dry up too much . I've spoiled them by misting them a couple times a day. Maybe I need to be a full time orchidist.

That's an interesting thought re: the separate timers. Lord knows there is no end of experimenting to be done. I've moved my plants up and down so many times they're probably very confused. A light meter was recommended to me. So I bought one but I'm not sure mine is calibrated correctly. I'm giving higher light levels to all my plants than they're "supposed" to need or want - at least according to the meter. When push comes to shove I've just had to wait and see what comes up (or doesn't!!) But it's been a lot of fun as well as challenge and I've bloomed a diversity of orchids under it.

I just got a warm-fuzzie thought for all my 'chids at home basking in their light.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerides
    That's an interesting thought re: the separate timers. Lord knows there is no end of experimenting to be done. I've moved my plants up and down so many times they're probably very confused. A light meter was recommended to me. So I bought one but I'm not sure mine is calibrated correctly. I'm giving higher light levels to all my plants than they're "supposed" to need or want - at least according to the meter. When push comes to shove I've just had to wait and see what comes up (or doesn't!!) But it's been a lot of fun as well as challenge and I've bloomed a diversity of orchids under it.

I just got a warm-fuzzie thought for all my 'chids at home basking in their light.
    I have a light meter, it only reads natural light , so I have NO idea how much light my plants are getting. Enough I'm sure, as alot of them(that weren't doing much of anything) are putting out new growth now.

I have a diffuser on my 400w HPS(Agro light does both vegative & flowering) , this seems to spread the light more evenly across my grow area.The 1 end of the reflector(diffuser doesn,t reach the full length of the bulb) has the highest light.This is where i,ve positioned Phragenstien & my Vanda "Blue Magic" they get about 2500fc to 3000fc.Most of the area about 4 feet square gets 1500fc to 2500fc.1 of my Phals is getting 2000fc & is growing like a good,un(roots , spike & a new leaf is growing). I use my light meter as a guide & just say 1 area is brighter than the other & move the plants to where i think they should go.