Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Our New Article System

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Lightbulb Our New Article System

I have been displeased with how difficult it was for members to author articles in our Orchid Article Library. So, I started looking for software that I could purchase that would integrate more completely with our forum. A little over a week ago, I found it. And tonight I have finally finished porting over our member articles.

This new system is as easy to use as making a post in the forum. It looks the same and in fact uses the same editors. It was expensive, but I think in the end it will be worth it because we will be able to catalog important information in a very user friendly way. I have not set up all the interior blocks yet, but it is functioning and ready for submissions. I will leave in place the old article system for the time being until I can 301 direct all of the links inside it to the new articles.

This means that I have some other updates to do across the board. I will be releasing updates to the OrchidTalk Toolbar to include the changed links found in the new article system. Expect that release sometime later this week or early next week.

I will update the RSS feeder for those of you who subscribe to the rss feeds from the Library. I will also update the auto poster that posts a new thread when an article is submitted within the library.

I plan to code a block that will play a random list of articles on the lobby page. I think this will be fairly easy to do since the new article system comes with a block for its index page. I just have to look at the code.

The threads where links go to the original article system need to be identified so that they can be edited with the correct URL of articles. If you are viewing the forum and find a thread that contains a link to the original article system, please post a link here in this thread so that I can get a master list. I will do a mass update so that we will not have dead links within our pages.

With the new article system comes some new features. For the subscribing members, you will find some advanced features just for you as well. The new system allows all of our members to keep a MY FAVORITES list that is displayed for your eyes only on the main article page.

Take a look and help me identify any bugs or permission errors. I have had it working and live for about 12 hours, so it is still a baby.

Enjoy! You can take a look by clicking on the link on the lobby page or here>>> OrchidTalk Orchid Article Library

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Denise
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, Vanda, Oncidium, Dendi
    Member's Country Flag

Very nice. Easy to read.

One suggestion: put something in that people can click to indicate a special interest, like "Paph" or "beginner", "species" or "propagation", "climate" or "region", for example, and then whenever new articles that fit the interest are posted, those people could get an alert in their pm boxes.

Is that do-able?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dsm View Post
    Very nice. Easy to read.

One suggestion: put something in that people can click to indicate a special interest, like "Paph" or "beginner", "species" or "propagation", "climate" or "region", for example, and then whenever new articles that fit the interest are posted, those people could get an alert in their pm boxes.

Is that do-able?
    Possibly as an advanced feature. Right now, people can subscribe to the member articles in their news feeder (rss). Also, anyone interested and logged into the forum can use the dedicated search feature where s/he can simply input the search term and be directed to all articles that fill their search criteria. This can be a broad search or a very narrow search via the advance searching options.

This morning, I have finished the set-up of the additional pages. So, now, each page should have all of the navigation blocks enabled. Should make for an easier time in moving through and using the system.

Cheers,
    BD

Bruce, some of what you said went right over my semi computer literate head but I did understand the word EASY...thanks!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-NY View Post
    Bruce, some of what you said went right over my semi computer literate head but I did understand the word EASY...thanks!
    Sorry, Ron. I hope I did not scare people with tech-talk. I guess I should just say - check it out - it is EASY and user friendly.

Hehe... I was just so excited to tell everyone about it. It has been keeping me extremely busy for several days now. I really think it will do what I intended the old system to do, only 100 times better.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    just about all of them
    Member's Country Flag

Talking

This community just keeps getting better. This really is a great addition Bruce. Thank you.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Article software has been updated. I have changed the link in the first post to our new software. I have also changed the tabs across the top of the forum. Click the Orchid Articles link to see the new design and layout.

When creating a new article, be sure to check it before submitting it. After submission the article cannot be edited with out a moderator's help. (limit of the software). That said, you can preview your article before submitting many times. After the article is submitted, it will appear only to the person that authored it. You will notice a red text line that says "not published". This will change when the article has been accepted by the system. All new articles, once published, will appear in the "New Posts" section of search. Unlike our previous software that was a separate program from the forum, this system is integrated into the forum and shares the same database. This means it is faster and more stable and can make use of widgets like new posts and new threads, etc as you will see inside the system. Take a look and if you find any bugs- please let me know. Also, if you decide to publish an article and have a question, please let me know and I am glad to help. ORCHID ARTICLE LIBRARY

Enjoy!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

I'm with Ron on this. But like him I'm happy about the Easy part. Thanks BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Yew Sung. This system is completely redone. As you notice my original post in this thread was in 2008. Yesterday, April 14, 2011, I updated the software as described in post # 7. Posting an article is as easy as posting a thread in the forum now. Hope everyone enjoys the new layout and integrated software.

Cheers,
    BD