Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Colmanra wildcat "golden red star"

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    one in bloom
    Member's Country Flag

Default Colmanra wildcat "golden red star"

Hi, well the forum is telling me to post , get friendly, etc..
    I have a Colmanra wildcat "golden red star" that I purchased from the orchid nursery in my area back in May. And of course it has bloomed out. I cut back the spike. I also transplanted it because it just came in this tiny little pot.
    So my question is how do I get it to bloom again. I was told with my cym that I needed to put it outside til the temp drops and it sends a spike. Which makes since to me for the time of year it was in bloom. But... I am not sure what to do with the colm wildcat. How do I get it to bloom in the spring?
    Sorry I am pretty new to this, and have never really gotten into raising orchids, well because... they never seem to rebloom. So, that is where I am now, determed to get these guys to rebloom!!!!

And as long as I am here, one more question. What about sudden temp changes? It has been really warm ( and dry) here for the last few weeks but today it decided to be over cast and cool ( like about 30degree difference) Should I be concerned and bring in the cym that I have outside? Or just let them enjoy the break from the heat like the rest of us?
    Thanks for any help.......Tami

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

You Cym will be fine outside, I'm sure. They probably are pretty easy to grow in your climate.

As for the Colmanara..I have one as well. It grows well in an East-facing window in intermediate temperatures and moderately bright light (brighter than a Phal..but less bright than a Cattleya). A new growth will come from the bottom of the previously bloomed growth, and continue to grow and elongate--that's where the new spike will come from. Good luck!

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    one in bloom
    Member's Country Flag

okay thanks. but on the wildcat do you need the temp change to get it to bloom? The house temp doesnt change that much. I did notice someone mentioning opening their window at night. I could do this if it is needed

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidium alliance

My Colmanara is very easy maintenance. Relatively high light, water like an oncidium. Mine is in S/H now and has roots growing everywhere and three growths. I haven't bloomed it yet since none of the new growths are mature yet, but here's hoping. I don't think most things in the intergenerics will need a strong temperature change to bloom.

I have a Miltoniopsis hybrid and a Burrageara that have both spiked (the Milt currently has two!) under these conditions.

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Household temps are fine. Mine lives inside and blooms beautifully, sometimes throwing double spikes from the same pseudobulb.

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    one in bloom
    Member's Country Flag

okay, I had pretty much given up on orchids. I babied and all the stuff recommended and nothing. So, I actually got rid of all but two. One is really young and I just couldnt do it, and I kept the Colmanra wildcat "golden red star". so maybe ignoring has something to do with it (haha) but about a 6 weeks are so ago I small a little shoot starting.. now it is about a foot and looks like the flowers are near. I was so excited.. I fianally did it Not sure what it is I did and maybe I shouldnt take any credit because really I ignored it . Watered only when I remember to look at it and see it was in direr need. But I am thrilled.....

Real Name
    AL
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous Types
    Member's Country Flag

Congratulations on your flower spike! You should have some beautiful blooms. My Colmanara is starting to spike also, but if this helps for the future, I think its because of the increased light in my northern exposure greenhouse more than temperature. My variation is a high of 78 degrees F. and a low of 62 degrees F. in winter. This really is not a big variance. AL

Real Name
    Tami
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    one in bloom
    Member's Country Flag

well I have to wonder .. it showed up right after a really cold spell and it was right by the window and I think teenagers learning to cook had to open the window a few times when it was in single digets outside. Well anyway might have been the negect...I need to take pics