Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: My First Orchid Seed Experience

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default My First Orchid Seed Experience

Hey evryone, I plan to do some orchid seed sowing this summer, what I plan to do on flasking is this:
    Creat a Glovebox with a 30 gallon aquarium with greenhouse plastice over the oipen side, and kitchen gloves in holes. I plan to use the Just add Water media from G & B orchids.I plan on using green seed pods, how will I know when the seed is ready? Is there any place that has free scommon seeds to try out with?

Green capsule maturity depends on genus, and species. I.e Listera cordata is ready 3 weeks after pollination where as Cypripedium formosanum can take 15 weeks.

Which species are you doing?

Best,
    Ross

Default Glove box

If you're building your own glove box, the first thing I'd probably do is try it out before you get the seeds. In other words, after you cook up some agar, don't put anything in it. If nothing grows, no fungi, no bacteria, no nothing, then you know you can keep things sterile. If the flask looks like a typical college dorm refrigerator after one week, then at least you know your technique needs some work.

Although I'm not sure if the "Just Add Water" media is the same thing as agar.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Hi newbie,

Here's a link to Green Pod harvesting times.

Cheers
    Tim

Also you have to look at the just add water media. I purchased some of that stuff from OSB and I still had to adjust the PH. We used RO water in making it. You have to constantly mix the agar because its like a suspention and if you olet it settle while pouring then your agar will not setup right. You might want to try the cornstarch method. It takes longer to grow the seeds, but you have less chance of contamination. It takes alot to grow chids from seed, but its doable. Good luck and read read read. Oh one other thing I would do dry seed if I were you too. just soak the seeds in hydrogen peroxide and wiat for it to stop fizzing. At that time the seeds are suspended in water and the seeds are sterile. Then use a sterilzed eye dropper to spread the seeds in the flasks. The biggest thing is creating a sterile environment to do the flasks in. It comes easy for me because I'm a surgical tech and have to maintane sterile fields all the time, with surgery and all. If you can get that aspect down then you should do fine. So far I have zero contamination on my 12 motherflask I didback in may. Goodluck

Default Propagating seeds

Josh,

Can you tell me step by step how you propagate seeds - starting with how to sterilize flasks, etc. Sounds like you know what you're doing and I would appreciate your information.

Thank you - PatofButter

My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.