Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: recovering phal w/ new roots

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default recovering phal w/ new roots

Invariably, when I have a rootless Phal that is recovering, I am thrilled when a new leaf starts to grow. But....it seems like it never has sufficient roots to sustain this new growth AND keep the older leaves in good condition. So a leaf or two off of the bottom will yellow and fall off, leaving just a few leaves. There is no way to avoid this as far as I can see but sometimes in dire straits they all fall off except the new one.

Just wanted your comments....also, when it does start new root growth, it is typically just one new root. Is this enough to sustain the plant? When do you start fertilizing again?

Thanks!

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Recovering plants usually take quite a bit of time before they're restored to normal operation, and then quite a bit more time before they're actually thriving. One new root is a good sign--it will help sustain the plant--but the older leaves on the bottom, dying off, is the plants way of recovering the stored energy in those and transfering it to the new growth.

If it's putting out roots, definitely start a fertilizer regimen again. The plant needs to get its nutrients from somewhere, so by fertilizing, there's a very good chance it'll stop trying to get nutrients from the older parts of itself--I'll bet you'll notice it'll keep more of its older leaves as time goes on. Also, don't be discouraged--it can take several growing seasons for a plant to fully recover and start to thrive.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lja
    Recovering plants usually take quite a bit of time before they're restored to normal operation, and then quite a bit more time before they're actually thriving. One new root is a good sign--it will help sustain the plant--but the older leaves on the bottom, dying off, is the plants way of recovering the stored energy in those and transfering it to the new growth.

If it's putting out roots, definitely start a fertilizer regimen again. The plant needs to get its nutrients from somewhere, so by fertilizing, there's a very good chance it'll stop trying to get nutrients from the older parts of itself--I'll bet you'll notice it'll keep more of its older leaves as time goes on. Also, don't be discouraged--it can take several growing seasons for a plant to fully recover and start to thrive.
    Thanks! Helpful .

My phal has two 2 inch new roots, but no new leaves. I always feel bad because it doesn't seem to have enough roots! Plus, the lower leaves are getting wrinkled and leathery... ! I understand how it feels when you have a root rotted phal...

Keep up hope. Yes, it may take a long time to recover, but don't give up!