Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP-SQUIRRELS HUNGRY !!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Chris Miller
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

Has anyone had luck putting moth balls around their pots? My plants stay outside all summer with no problem, but for some reason come fall they start nibbling...and they seem to specifically target new growth! I have a Nodosa Yellow Bird that they are drawn to...so it's now hanging from a tree.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cjcorner View Post
    Ahem....got poison? Anything that eats my orchids gets dead fast.
    Connie
    Though I fully understand the sentiment/desire (believe me I do!!!) I would have to discourage the poison method. Do keep in mind that you would likely be killing other animals as well. Even if other critters didn't eat the poison bait, a dead or dying squirrel usually becomes food/prey for other animals. Those animals -- cats, dogs, birds of prey, etc -- in turn would ingest the poison.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

My husband recently came home with a box of Moth Balls. He was told by a wise old hardware store manager to try putting these around. It has worked like magic. It is stinky but it works great.

Real Name
    Laurent Lambert
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Laelia & Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

I am joining the anti-squirrel thread. I have the sun loving orchids outside on the windowsill all Spring/Summer long, 4th floor of a brownstone .... Two days ago I found a pseudobulb of one of my laelias neatly chewed off. Are they known to stay away from certain species or would they eat anything? I am worried now ....

Real Name
    Rich Weise
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya & Den.
    Member's Country Flag

Default Squirrel Update

Ron,Thats funny ! Just to let you know what has been happening.I have put rubber snakes around the plants,showered the planting areas w/black and red pepper.I think that there is just one out of about 10 squirrels that has been snacking on my porch.I have been on watch,the one gray squirrel has learned that there is a easier meal not far away.I have put cider vinegar into a spray bottle,this they Don't Like. I don't want to hurt the little buggers,just want them to go back to eating NUTS!! lol The plants are doing well,new growth starting to sprout.I think I have a Phal. inside that is spiking.I might post a pic. later.Hey question??? What should I do about a sunburnt leaf a Cattleya ?? The bulbs are large,I don't want to cut it off. I put up a additional small shelf near the Phal.shelf.I have alot of room now for being in a apartment. I might have to fill in some of that extra space.lol ) Rich

Rich...when squirrels have an preferred food source they will leave your plants alone. Stock up on cobs of Indian Corn at the end of the fall season when you can find them on mark down. Attach a board on the other end of the yard with a ling nail sticking up. spear an ear of corn on the nail, standing upright. I find that squirrels prefer the dried corn to orchids. You can buy red pepper flakes reasonably and boil them in water. Strain the solids out and use the spiced water in a spray bottle.

Burnt Catt leaf...been there done that. If some of the leaf is still green, then I leave it...it will still produce energy for the plant. It is just unsightly.

Extra space is a good thing

Real Name
    Rich Weise
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya & Den.
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Ron.I leave the leaf alone.lol That isn't right !! Rich

Real Name
    Laurent Lambert
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Laelia & Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

I brought my orchids inside, the squirrels won this battle, last night I found a cattleya unpotted, munched on in a lot of different places including the roots, the rhizome cut in half and a small laelia was just gone, vanished .... Very aggravating. Maybe buying another Catt would make me feel better ...

Real Name
    John
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Cymbidium
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-NY View Post
    Stock up on cobs of Indian Corn at the end of the fall season when you can find them on mark down. Attach a board on the other end of the yard with a ling nail sticking up. spear an ear of corn on the nail, standing upright.
    Better yet, put the corn in the neighbor's yard.

I dont have squirrel problems anymore. The local wild hawks took care of that apparently.

I do have problems with tunneling rodents eating all my bulbs in the garden. My two year old banana plant also had all its roots eaten.
    They are probably moles or voles or gophers - whatever they are, they are very troublesome.

I recently bought an ultrasonic pest repellent that has adjustable frequencies to target specific groups of animals. I have been using it for a week now and I am monitoring my yard to see if there are still tunneling activities.

One immediate effect is that the neighbor's pesky cat that keeps using my garden as his bathroom no longer comes into my property. I guess the repellent affects him too.