Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crown rot in phal

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Crown rot in phal

Hello! Can someone offer me some advice on how to deal with crown rot in a phal? I noticed the leaves on my phal turning yellow recently, and when I went to inspect the cause, several leaves fell off very easily. Half the crown is brown/black, and I suspect it may be due to rot. Is there any way I can save this plant? The flowers are still in bloom and look great; should I cut the spike so the plant can focus its energy on recovering?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I'm afraid the prospects aren't very good if it is crown rot. You can trim off all affected parts, making sure to sterilize the instrument every time you hit infected tissue (which will not be white/clear). cinnamon, sulfur, or a myriad of commercial products on the wound. And hope for a basal keiki. There are hormones for sale to induce keiki formation, but unless it's a unique plant or something that otherwise has sentimental value, I'd pass on it. If the plant is healthy enough, i.e. the rot has not spread to the roots and can be contained, it should sprout a keiki on its own. Needless to say, it's a long road back if it should get that far.

My advice is to get another plant, and to make sure you have enough air circulation. And of course never to let any amount of water sit in the crown or axils of a phal.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

But don't give up! There is still a chance that it'll make a keiki and survive...even if chances may be small. If I were you, I would cut the spike off and stick it in a vase or something. This can put less stress on your orchid. Have hope...as always...

When you water, even if you splash water into the crown (something I often do when I'm watering), then gently wipe the water off using a paper towel. Dab at the orchid (gently) until it's all dry.

Real Name
    Loventana Lo
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too many to mention
    Member's Country Flag

Crown rot sounds all too familiar to me. Almost all my first acquisitions of phals in the past were lost due to crown rot. Some of them, if they have good root system sprout keikis from the base ( even the ones that lost all its leaves leaving only the base and the roots). But I found out that these keikis are weak. All of them died as well, except for one. I'm keeping this one merely because I am curious to find out how it would turn out.

Ditto to the advice given above. Don't lost hope .

I repotted the phal in question this afternoon and took a closer look at the crown. Two more leaves fell off so all I have left is one large leaf and 2 small leaves at the base. Now I'm not so sure it's crown rot because 1) the crown isn't squishy and 2) it doesn't smell bad at all. I'm attaching a picture here for you to see. Is that black stuff around the base of the crown normal? The roots were in great condition...does anyone have any other explanation for why the leaves fell off?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Loventana Lo
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too many to mention
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by orchid_fan
    I repotted the phal in question this afternoon and took a closer look at the crown. Two more leaves fell off so all I have left is one large leaf and 2 small leaves at the base. Now I'm not so sure it's crown rot because 1) the crown isn't squishy and 2) it doesn't smell bad at all. I'm attaching a picture here for you to see. Is that black stuff around the base of the crown normal? The roots were in great condition...does anyone have any other explanation for why the leaves fell off?

Thanks!
    I don't think that's crown rot. But it is still some kind of rot. Clean all those black stuff and apply a good dusting of fungicide and keep that base dry for the time being. Water only the roots.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Crown rot would have turned the crown of the plant brown and mushy first, before any of the lower leaves would have fallen off. But that black stuff is strange; I've never seen that before. Definitely spray down with a fungicide. The plant may still revive.

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

Try pouring some hydrogen peroxide directly into what is left of the crown . I did this for a phal losing its leaves and it worked.

....wait a day or two,to see if it looks better, if not ,then throw it in the trash and buy yourself a new orchid...this one will be set back a year ,and personally ,unless it is one you paid a LOT of money for it just isn't worth the wait !

Quote Originally Posted by Gilda
    Try pouring some hydrogen peroxide directly into what is left of the crown . I did this for a phal losing its leaves and it worked.
    That's an interesting suggestion! How much hydrogen peroxide should I use? How exactly does it help the plant?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

That's an interesting suggestion! How much hydrogen peroxide should I use? How exactly does it help the plant?
    Hydrogen Peroxide acts like a disinfectant, and also kills bacteria and fungus. Some people use it full strength; some people dilute it...I'm not sure of the exact percentage, so someone else can clarify that.