Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Potting my Neo

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Marissa
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidiums
    Member's Country Flag

Default Potting my Neo

Hello Everyone,

I purchased this Neo? (not sure if it's really Neo) from a local grower/hobbyist I found in my area. She cut this from the plant that is just sitting on the ground, which might have been mounted on something but all I can see was bunch of roots and keikis. She called it her ATM. Sorry, did not take pic. of the ATM...he he. I would like to show how I potted it to get some comments, suggestions, or any input since I'm an amateur on this. I actually referred to a posting from Ron (thanks Ron) on how to do it.

Materials: 6 inch Plastic pot, styrofoam, sphagnum moss, 500ml water bottle, screw driver.

First photo; I used a plastic pot but had to put the holes by heating a screw driver since I do not own a drill (Disclaimer: Please don't do this at home)

Second photo; I put a 500ml water bottle in the middle of the pot and filled it with Sphagnum Moss that I pre-soaked with lukewarm water.

Third photo; I pulled the water bottle and put the styrofoam (4th photo) in the space that I created using the water bottle.

To be continued, I can only upload 4 photos at a time
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Real Name
    Marissa
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidiums
    Member's Country Flag

Continuation; after filling the pot with the moss, I put the plant inside the pot to see how it fits in the pot and put some more moss around it.

Third and fourth photos is the finish product.

Now I have to learn how not to kill it...lol

Thanks everybody

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for sharing this, Marissa! Best of luck to you! I look forward to your blooms!

Cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

I've been trying something similar with an overturned hydroponic pot in the center. They look like a little basket pot, lots of holes. I hope to increase the air flow to the center of the root system to avoid the common rot that can occur with breaking down medium. Good idea you had and thanks for the successive pics. You did a good job!

Nice job potting...Looks too big for a Neof. Could it be an Neostylis Lou Sneary????

Let it get nearly dry before watering. Watch the moss, you may want to repot it yearly...constantly damp moss breaks down quickly and the Chilean moss that you are using isn't the best quality to start with. I only use New Zealand Sphag., it is fluffier, longer strand and therefore leaves better air space. It is more expensive and more difficult to find but worth the effort in getting it. I grow mine with my Catts and keep them a cold and bright in the winter.

Real Name
    Marissa
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidiums
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-NY View Post
    Nice job potting...Looks too big for a Neof. Could it be an Neostylis Lou Sneary????

Let it get nearly dry before watering. Watch the moss, you may want to repot it yearly...constantly damp moss breaks down quickly and the Chilean moss that you are using isn't the best quality to start with. I only use New Zealand Sphag., it is fluffier, longer strand and therefore leaves better air space. It is more expensive and more difficult to find but worth the effort in getting it. I grow mine with my Catts and keep them a cold and bright in the winter.
    I actually want the small one which I saw at the Bonsai nursery but the lady where I got this one did not have them.

I found and bought a bag of moss which says New Zealand Sphagnum Moss (photos attached) which looks so much better from this one that that I use and actually cheaper. I'm thinking of re-potting it using this new moss, or should I wait and see?

Thanks,

yes that is what I use...much nicer Sphag...longer strands and fluffier. Your choice...repot now or remember to next year. ...your choice