Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Potting: More than one orchid to a pot?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Julie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Like: all, Able to grow: phals
    Member's Country Flag

Default Potting: More than one orchid to a pot?

Hi there,

My phal. equestris has been blooming continuously for months and has set two keiki (I hope this means that it is happy!). When it is time to pot up the keiki, is it OK to pot them together with the mother plant (or just the two of the keiki together), or is that considered bad form? I only ask because smaller pots are sometimes knocked over in my home... (pets and gremlins). I do weigh down my pots with a couple of big stones in the bottom before potting the plants. Thanks!

Alplily

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I see no problem with potting up more than one of the same orchid in a pot. It will make for a bigger display. The only worry would be that you would probably be increasing the pot size and the amount of medium around the roots. Just be sure to adjust your watering schedule to match. Best of luck to you!

Cheers,
    BD

Yes, it is okay but be aware that according to AOS rules, the plant would no longer be qualified for judging. Only one plant in a pot is allowed. If you pot it separately, you then have trading fodder, LOL.

Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

I have done this a lot, especially when I was really new, and have had mixed results. Some of the plants got a lot bigger than I realized, and it was overkill to have two plants together. Some just sat there and didn't want to grow--and I think it was because they were essentially overpotted, even though the pot looked about right for the two of them. Sometimes it gave a successful nice full look. So it depends. Probably it will be better overall for you if you just stick to one per pot. But I have some orchids I'm not too attached to that I like to put together casually, just for color. And that's kind of fun.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphs, Phrags & Vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I asked more or less the same question about potting two young 6inch Vanda plants together, and was advised not to as cross contamination could become a major problem, and also, there could be no turning back once the roots of both plants had entwined & tangled. I dare say that this would occur to Phals too. However, not be swayed, I AM growing the two Vanda's together and both plants are developing very well... My decision to try this was reached once I'd established that both plants were cultivated from the same Mother plant and by the same professional dealer. I have also had great success with growing Vanda's. Their horizontal leaf-growth formation also makes them relatively easy to one behind the other without reducing their much needed light, humidity & air circulation. I'm also very strict with my watering/feeding & nursing regime to minimise the possibility of any fungal or parasite disease... It's difficult to predict if both plants will bloom at the same time, though this is of course my reason to experiment, as both plants are 'blue' varieties which will compliment each other beautifully whether or not it's against 'The Rules'