Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yellow Phal leaf

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default yellow Phal leaf

This seemed to happen overnight. I went to water this am and one of my favorite phals looked sick. So I took a picture and sprayed it and the rest of my phals with ortho garden disease control. Anyone have any idea what's going on with it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have no idea what is going on there, but I would remove that leaf. Looks like the one opposite is starting to turn yellow as well.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

Usually phals lose an old (bottom) leaf every now and then...but the strange thing is that your phal is losing a leaf at the middle of the plant. What is the white stuff between the leaves--not fungus, right? Sometimes letting water sit between the leaves can cause rot, which results in leaves yellowing/falling off. Just some guesses! Some other people surely will have some better ideas...

Lisa, that same thing happened with my phal recently and I didn't remove the first yellow leaf immediately. Next thing I knew, most of the other leaves turned yellow and dropped off. Now I'm left with half a leaf and a plant that's struggling to stay alive. I'd suggest removing the yellow leaf/leaves asap and check the crown. Maybe a fungicide will help too. Good luck!

Real Name
    Loventana Lo
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too many to mention
    Member's Country Flag

I have this kind of problem before, I always thought that the plant suffered shock after watering the plant with very cold water straight from the tap in winter. Mine is just a suspicion so I am also interested to know what might have caused this yellowing of middle leaves that spread so quickly. I hope someone with more experience would share what they know.

Tanya

The only thing different is that I've been leaving the windows open to get a temp drop in the house for spiking. The lowest it's been is 59 degrees. I don't feel that's it. I water with room temp rain water.

Fungus is what I'm afraid of, though I've never seen it look like this before. I'm going to go remove the yellow leaves and spray again into that area.

Do you guys spray on a regular basis or only when there's a problem? I'm wondering if I should start a monthly habit?

Lisa

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Having grown on windowsills for way too long, I don't recommend regular spraying. The generally low home humidity tends to reduce the likelihood of infections & rots, although air movement is of course required, especially during the heat of summer. And most chemicals that work worth a ____ are too nasty for home use.

If you move plants outdoors, I would definitely spray 3 times at the recommended 7-12 day intervals to get rid of the nasties that move in.

I don't know what that yellow leaf is, but it sounds like you have a plan already.

I only spray when I see the need for it. I am afraid that with a steady program the sprays will become less effective.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Lisa, has that plant been in repeated bloom for a long time? In other words, did the same spike bloom, then branch, then bloom again? Many times, a phal's depleted energy will cause what you're seeing there.

If repeated blooming is not the case, unpot the plant and check the roots. I'd be willing to bet that either critters have chomped on them, or that the non-aerial ones have rotted.

Quote Originally Posted by lja
    Lisa, has that plant been in repeated bloom for a long time? In other words, did the same spike bloom, then branch, then bloom again? Many times, a phal's depleted energy will cause what you're seeing there.

If repeated blooming is not the case, unpot the plant and check the roots. I'd be willing to bet that either critters have chomped on them, or that the non-aerial ones have rotted.
    No on the blooming, though it is growing 2 basal keikis. I unpotted to check the roots. No bugs having lunch that I could see, but I washed the plant off, neemed it and potted up with fresh sphag. (didn't wash the clay pot, but now I wish I had). Roots were okay, not as good as I'd liked, but not all rotten either. I bought this plant about 6 months ago, potted in peet and the roots were starting to rot, so I immediately repotted.

I just don't know what this is!