Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficult choosing next orchid

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Dan Szewczyk
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis, Doritaenopsis
    St. Clair Shores, MI and East Lansing, MI
    Member's Country Flag

Default Difficult choosing next orchid

I'm trying to expand to new genera/species of orchids- not extremely difficult to grow. I want to be adventurous, but not to the point where I'm wasting money on a plant that I'll end sending to "orchid heaven". I'm currently "in between job opportunities " if you know what I mean. I'm living off a credit card but I need an orchid to relieve my stress (I have mononucleosis for the second time in 7 years, topped off with a cold) which has obliterated my immune system.
    I already have some Phalaenopsis, Doritaenopsis, Oncidium, and now an Epidendrum, so I want something from a new genus.

Here are some I am interested in:
    Paph. delenatii
    (delenatii 'Miss Saigon' x delenatii 'Vietnam')

Paph. micranthum
    (micranthum 'Buble Gum' x micranthum 'Monte Vista')

Paph. Magic Lantern
    (micranthum 'Bubble Gum' x delenatii 'Miss Saigon')

Onc. Mendenhall 'Monarch' AM/AOS
    (Onc. Butterfly x Onc. pailio)

Slc. Hsin Buu Lady 'YT' AM/AOS
    (L. anceps x Slc. Wendy's Valentine)

Yam. Queen Adelia 'Kiilani'
    (Blc. Orange Nuggett x Yam. Sammie Evsns)

I am interested in tetraploid orchids as well, with low to intermediate light (East Lansing, MI is one of cloudiest cities in the USA), of any species. I could really use some advice or other recommendations. You can probably see the trend with the Paphs.

Gracias, Dan

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

Hey Dan! Haven't seen ya in a while.

Can't advise you on the paphs or phrags -- I can't grow them no matter what I do. They all up and die on me.

Unless you can do some supplemental lighting, I think you'll have to skip the catt and onc alliances. They tend to need quite a bit more light than you're looking at -- though just how "intermediate" we're talking here could make all the difference.

Onc. Mendenhall -- now known as Psychopsis (unless those darned taxonomists have made yet another change) will handle Phal light conditions as I recall.

Are you living on campus still or off? Masdies might be an option but not if you're still in the dorms -- the heat and the dryness would kill them off. Other members of the Pleurothallid alliance might also be options. If you were into mini's and wanted to and could do a terr that would also give you some options.

Real Name
    Joe
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Den. phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Dan, I recommend you try a Dendrobium phalaenopsis. They are not expensive, tough, take a little more light than a phalaenopsis. like being root bound and don't like being over watered. Joe
    Name:  07270004 (Small).JPG
Views: 11306
Size:  70.8 KB

Real Name
    Dan Szewczyk
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Default Any suggestion on species or hybrid of dendrobium?

It's nice talking to you and start getting some time to participate in the forum. My schedule at MSU last semester was not pleasant nor gratifying. Organic Chemistry II, Genetics, an Physics lab are not great classes to take at the same, on top of being sick for the last month of the semester. I'm taking a lighter spring semester so I will have some time doing other things (like get a job). I want to do more as President of the MSU Herpetology (study of reptiles and amphibians) Club, even though I re-structured and overhauled the meetings and increased membership last semester (that's the thing I feel like I'm justified in bragging about). I have already started volunteering in at the North Campus Botany Greenhouse, which is split into two naturalized setting- one rainforest, (with hundreds of orchids ) and the other a desert setting. I'm pretty sure I'll get a paying job there eventually, since I have experience with tropical plants and doing work in the Costa Rican rainforest. I'll post some pictures later. Just thought I'd update.

Now to the point. Do you recommend any species or hybrid of dendrobium (or any other) orchid that would be a good starter plant? My room is usually a constant 75 degrees and is mid to low humidity. I have to keep it like this for my snakes. They need a gradient of 85 degrees on one side (accomplished using an overhead ceramic heating) and 75 degrees on the other side. They can't have really high humidity (I use a humidifier at short intervals regularly though), because this would give them respiratory infections. The lighting for the orchids I keep at my apartment up at MSU is for phalaenopsis, next to a north-facing window. I do have a very bright UV light that I could use in a different location (where I could also use a humidifier) for orchids that need higher intensity light.

The color of orchids I would like would be anything than the standard magenta. I do like unusual colors, like blue, and bicolors, and would like to add some bright reds, oranges, and salmon, as well as oxbloods and dark purples. I also like unusually shaped flowers.

Thanks,

Dan

Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

sounds like you may need to make an enclosure for your 'chids that could hold the humidity the snakes can't tolerate well. Have you given any thought to that?

My Grow Area
    Under Lights.

Just curious, what kind of snakes are you keeping? (Is that a Ball Python around your neck or a Burmese?)

Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by powersauce View Post
    Organic Chemistry II, Genetics, an Physics lab are not great classes to take at the same
    Yeah that is a solid load. I enjoyed Organic Chem. I had that, Physics+lab, and Poultry Production the same period as I recall. Genetics happened along with Inorganic Chem Lab, Animal Behavior and Russian.

I have already started volunteering in at the North Campus Botany Greenhouse, which is split into two naturalized setting- one rainforest, (with hundreds of orchids ) and the other a desert setting. I'm pretty sure I'll get a paying job there eventually, since I have experience with tropical plants and doing work in the Costa Rican rainforest.
    Do they still have the greenhouse next to the Hort. Bldg open to students? Used to stop in there between classes sometimes when up that way.

Now to the point. Do you recommend any species or hybrid of dendrobium (or any other) orchid that would be a good starter plant? My room is usually a constant 75 degrees and is mid to low humidity. The lighting for the orchids I keep at my apartment up at MSU is for phalaenopsis, next to a north-facing window. I do have a very bright UV light that I could use in a different location (where I could also use a humidifier) for orchids that need higher intensity light.
    The UV light will not likely be of any great use for the chids. Check the BBS in your area -- sometimes they get some decent stuff in. Also if you have time, check the local os -- most have auctions through which plants can be obtained quite inexpensively.

I would likely skip most of the nobile-type (or "soft caned") dens in your case. While more are being bred now that do not need a cooling period to initiate flowering, there are still those that do.

Got room for an extra tank? Do a terrarium.

The color of orchids I would like would be anything than the standard magenta. I do like unusual colors, like blue, and bicolors, and would like to add some bright reds, oranges, and salmon, as well as oxbloods and dark purples. I also like unusually shaped flowers.

Thanks,

Dan
    A lot of the colors you desire are common among the catts. The lighting you mentioned for the phals -- is that strictly window light or window + supplemental? If supplemental, what wattage/lumens is/are the bulb(s)?

Paph. micranthum probably needs some coldness to bloom. The rest I think they will do quite well with your growing condition.

Real Name
    Rob Parsons
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipedium
    Member's Country Flag

Dan,

I think the Psychopsis Mendenhall (as Pavel has already mentioned, it's not in the genus Oncidium any longer--they cannot be hybridized with "real" Oncidiums) would do well--they can tolerate low humidity. I have Psychopsis Mariposa (papilio crossed with Kalihi) and it puts out one bloom after another on its spike. They supposedly do like slightly brighter light than Phals, but mine spends most of its time in my diningroom and it's not especially bright in there.

Cheers,

Rob

Real Name
    Dan Szewczyk
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dougroc View Post
    Just curious, what kind of snakes are you keeping? (Is that a Ball Python around your neck or a Burmese?)
    It's actually a rosy-tailed boa constrictor, Miss Iowa, and she's actually a friend's snake. I have a 4 foot female ball python, Bitely, and a 3 foot male ball python, Ed. I will eventually acquire more, it's kind of like collecting orchids. I'd like a Bredli's python next.