Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: What is wrong with my Odm. Margerate Holm?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default What is wrong with my Odm. Margerate Holm?

I've been having these spots pop up a lot on this Odm. Margerate Holm. Had already cut off several leaves, thinking it was rot of some kind, but it popped up again. Can you guys tell me what this is - is it just some kind of rot that I need to treat better, or a dreaded virus or something?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have small black spots that come up on the leaves of my oncidiums. I was told that they just do that, can't say why. Some seem to do it more than others.

Lisa

If the inside of the dot didn't look gooshy, I'd say burn, but it looks a bit fungal to me. Do you have any fungicide? At the least I would say cut the spot out and sprinkle it with some cinnemon.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

It looks like some sort of fungus/bacteria is "eating away" at the leavees, causing the "ringed" discolorations and a darker center portion. That's why it looks more fungal/bacterial. It does not look like a virus to me, but you can never be completely sure unless you take lab tests. I think you should remove the affected area, and treat it with fungicide, or at least cinnamon. Treat it carefully. Make sure there's air movement because it can discourage fungi and rots.

Thanks guys. I did remove the leaf after taking the pic, it was clearly not a good thing. I'll treat the entire plant with Clearys, a systemic fungicide tomorrow when the weather is warm - I can really drench it outside. This plant was the same one that had the PB that was rotting that I asked you guys about months ago. Clearly it's prone to this kind of thing (I say that because I NEVER have fungal problems with my plants, just this one and my miltoniopsis). So, it's now getting more air from the fan, will ONLY get water at night, and is getting a Clearys bath manana :-) Thanks all.

And Lisa, you're right about the oncidiums in particular getting spots. But those are cute little freckles, and some not so cute. This baby is oozing, and that's always a bad sign.

I guess if I could have seen the picture, it might have helped. I see a picture of a lycaste! Am I the only one seeing the wrong pictures an all the posts?

Lisa

Images seem fine to me

Well I gave it a nice peroxide drench today. Hopefully that will help. It's also been moved nearer the fan, so it gets a good breeze now. Thanks for eh feedback, gang.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

will ONLY get water at night
    John, if you're watering at night, that's more than likely what's aggravating the problem. By nightfall, your leaves should really be dried off. Otherwise, bacteria and fungus issues really start to go rampant.

Lisa, about the pic not matching, try going into the Tools menu item of your browser, then select internet options. In the middle of the window that comes up, you should see two buttons, "Delete Cookies," and "Delete Files." When you click Delete Files, another little window will appear. Check the box next to "Delete all offline content," then click "Ok." This should clear your browser's cache, forcing it to re-download the image. Let me know if this works, or if you're still having problems.

I NEVER water at night, have NO IDEA why I wrote that! LOL Must have been sleepy. I suspect I meant will only get water in the mornings, I've particularly careful with the troublemaker plants.