Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OrchidBids moved on-site

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Default OrchidBids moved on-site

Over the past couple of weeks, we have been working behind the scenes here to create an auction / sales area within the OrchidTalk forum where members can buy and sell orchids and orchid related items.

Today, we have opened the new feature. We will still refer to it as OrchidBids, but now, members of the forum do not have to leave the site to participate in the sales or auctions being listed.

As with everything new, there will be some changes that you need to be aware of before using the new feature:

1. It is now completely FREE to list and sell inside the new OrchidBids feature. NO FEES or member verification charge of any kind. RVO gets nothing, nada, zilch from your sales or auctions and the membership base went from around 80 users to over several hundred users. If you find the auction helpful and wish to contribute to the forum do so by making a donation or becoming a subscribing member. To learn more about Donating or Subscriptions, click those respective links.

2. No longer will members be verified using credit card or paypal/ bank account. The only verification that will happen is through membership and participation in this community. If you use this new feature, you do so at your own risk as RVO, OrchidTalk, its admin and moderators are not liable for any transactions or problems that arise because of transactions you engage in using this new feature. Please refer to our updated Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules for more information on this feature.

3. OrchidBids is no longer its own website and therefore cannot have a SSL connection. The upshot of this is that we (RVO) will not have to renew the Secure Certificate for the OrchidBids site and since our software is no longer handling the process of transaction between users, the forum has reduced costs without completely banning sales and trades between members.

4. Since all sales and auctions happen here within the forum now, items listed in the new OrchidBids feature will have higher traffic and be spidered by all the search engines which visit this site on an hourly basis. Increasing the opportunities for sales and purchases.

So, without more fanfare, here it is: OrchidBids Orchid Sales and Auctions

Please post questions here or send me a PM. If you find any problem with a link or the software, please let me know ASAP so that I look into the issue.

All main links such as the "SHOP" link at the top of the page, etc have been redirected to the new OrchidBids Page. Even the links within the OrchidTalk ToolBar for IE and Fire-Fox have been redirected.

Shop and Sell responsibly, have fun, and enjoy OrchidTalk.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Laurent Lambert
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Laelia & Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

WOW, I like the look of it and the fact that it's divided into categories!
    Nice work Bruce (and probably a lot of work too!)

I hope people start listing items soon!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
    WOW, I like the look of it and the fact that it's divided into categories!
    Nice work Bruce (and probably a lot of work too!)

I hope people start listing items soon!
    Thanks, Laurent, me too!! I believe this will help our community continue to grow and give new people incentive to speak up and participate in the discussions here.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Laurent Lambert
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Laelia & Encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

I would also feel completely comfortable buying some seedlings or a division of a plant from a forum member whose collection I "know" ...

If my little laelia seedlings make it to maturity, I will unload them here!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

I have just the plant to sell... my Blc Ports of Paradise 'Emerald Isle' has grown into a monster. I will be posting a picture tomorrow. It's been growing in 3 directions and has over 20 pbs. It has continually been in flower for 5 months, but now I am resolve to divide it even if it puts up another sheath.. It's a lovely, strong and very easy to grow standard catt with lovely green blooms and a citrus fragrance,,,

So watch for it on the OrchidBids in a couple weeks.

Real Name
    Denise
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, Vanda, Oncidium, Dendi
    Member's Country Flag

Hi there,
    I wandered back in because I am gearing up to work some more on my orchid projects and I have some dried orchid blossoms to put in the listings. I tried Etsy, but it did not work for me and I think that you still have potential for the orchid niche.

How lonely is it going to be if I start listing again?

I have some framed orchid art in my regular store and that store can shoot traffic over to any site that does auctions. They do it automatically if you allow the auction listing to link back to the store. The listing in the store would have a "go to orchidbids to see this item"

I am pm'g you guys the link so you can see how smooth it is. The auction site you will see coming up serves only the antiques crowd and could not serve orchids. I am working on a series of specialty auction sites for my different projects and the store I use will allow me to list fine art, so I would be putting only the orchid-related fine art in your site.

I am not a member of the store host company. I am just someone who uses that host to sell some of my things, and same goes for the collectibles auction site company.

Real Name
    Marissa
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidiums
    Member's Country Flag

Yippeee

Bruce

Real Name
    Denise
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal, Vanda, Oncidium, Dendi
    Member's Country Flag

I hope there will be at least a couple people listing? I will be happy to start mentioning Orchidbids as a venue in the other forums I go in, if you guys want that.... let me know.
    Last edited by dsm; April 7th, 2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: got confused, thought "bruce" was siggie.....

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by orchid lady View Post
    Yippeee

Bruce
    Thanks, Marissa. I hope it is found useful at some point. LOL!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    Thanks, Marissa. I hope it is found useful at some point. LOL!

Cheers,
    BD
    I hope so too. Even at this very early stage in my growing career, I trust the people on this site more than I would trust just about anyone else. Can't waiit to see some action on this forum.