Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: make-shift greenhouse

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default make-shift greenhouse

Ok, well my dend, the one that had the aphids is getting really bad. First it had one new shoot that got to be about an inch tall, and then another one grew, and I really thought it had a chance. However, both of those died, and I'm not sure if I'm completely to blame for lack of watering. So now the two canes that are left are slowly dying. This thing looks pitiful. I was wondering how to make a little greenhouse of the thing to get it back. I mean the roots are fine, they are doing wonderful, I just can't get the thing to spring back. Any suggestions?

Try putting the pot & all in a plastic bag.
    A few holes for air circulation.This should give the plant high humidity.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

Yeah, a bag will work. Before you put it in, it's safer to use a fungicide on the plant--just in case, because it can sometimes get pretty humid inside the bag...so you know... You can use sticks to prop up the bag so you get a cozy little "greenhouse" for your orchid...Good luck!

Real Name
    Loventana Lo
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too many to mention
    Member's Country Flag

The "Little Greenhouse" is working both for my dend and phal .

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

If you can, Jennifer, give it a shot. The "bag" greenhouse has worked wonders for a lot of folks, especially for plants in "rescue" mode....

Should I cut off the stalks that are dying a slow death, or leave them? The dorms are going to turn on the heaters soon and the windowsill is right above the radiator. Should i rig something up for the humidity for my other plants too? Keeping the dend. by itself and then the others together? I don't think they get enough humidity so I'm worried about it. I can probably do something with saran wrap and popsicle sticks or something.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

I wouldn't cut anything off that's even a bit alive, even though it may be dying...unless, of course, it's infected with some fungi or something. If I were you, I would leave the canes be. Are there any other canes other than the two that are slowly dying? Of course, it's not a good idea to leave a den "caneless".

You should do something about the humidity. With the winter coming and the heat on all day, the air in my home gets very dry and my orchids aren't feeling too comfortable. Humidity is important for orchids...try to do something about it. Humidity trays, misting, etc., all work.

Do I leave it in its pot since it is in a ceramic one, and firmly attached to it? Does it need sphag, or is the bark enough? I've never done this before and it is a lowes buy, so there isn't much to lose, I just want to finally succeed at something.

What kind of drainage does your ceramic pot have? If there isn't any then that may be your problem of dying canes. Whenever you have something dying out of the norm (an old leaf would be normal, an old cane would too) check the roots. If the roots are in good shape then put a little sphagnum moss in the bottom of a plastic bag. Wring this out, you don't want it to be wet. Take a wire hanger or two cut them open and stick these into a pot to make a tent, then put your plant bareroot into this pot. Fold the plastic under the pot and sphagnum. A few holes in the bag will help, but you can open the bag every few days and let fresh air get in.

It is really anchored into one of those orchid pots. It has slits down the sides. I really don't want to pull it out of the pot if I don't have to, the roots are the only thing going really well for the plant. I don't want to disturb the roots and make the thing die when I don't see any evidence that the problem is coming from there. I really don't want to make it over-come another set back such as taking a knife and cutting it out of the pot. I know that there is obviously a problem with the plant since the new shoots died, but I think it could have been the lack of watering and low humidity. What else could it have been?