Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fungicide Burn: RD-20

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Howard
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything That Will Grow
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sirina View Post
    Thanks for the advice, but since I am very new at growing orchids I need lots of advice. Can I spray it on the leaves and on the roots? I have a very sick cattleya and I do not want it do die. Please help me.

sirina
    If you are speaking of Physan 20 and it relatives, yes spray it everywhere... In fact, I use it as a dipping solution when I transplant my phals. Can't speak to any of the other items mentioned in this thread.

Real Name
    Karen Jones
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

If you use Listerine, only use the original formula. The other kinds have ingredients in them that are not good for orchids. I use Listerine regularly. It works.

Hi Kjones1957, I have been using listerine for the last couple of days and it seems to do work. Thanks for the advice.

Real Name
    Pete Lowenstein
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    No Specific Favorite
    Member's Country Flag

If the pesticide RD-20 is marketed as a bactereria-cide + fungicide it is a shotgun type pesticide which in my personal opinion is a Bad IDEA.

I'm old school where pesticides are concerned. I specifically treat targeted pests as I work at avoiding providing platforms for disrelated organisms to increase resistance to yet another organo-phosphate compound. Yes, it's a mouthful. However, best way to breed stronger pathogens, organisms & pests is familiarize their physiology to yet another manmade cure all compound. For those of you who are trained, remember LD 50/50? where survivors go forward to reproduce with other survivors, breeding stronger more resistant pests? Yeah?. . . . Well that's what it's all about.

If RD 20 or SA 20 or whatever it's being called is a shotgun treatment as is, mentioned it's too bad. Preventitive sparying as a maintenence tool is against my principles & knowledge. What's more it contradicts the principles and aims of I.P.M. or Integrated Pest Management practices. I dislike using compounds with known & unknown drawbacks capable of doing real harm to more than pests. I also subscribe to a growing notion organo phosphates & their related compounds contribute to human maladies such as ADHD, ADD, Autism & other neurological disfunction. Organo-Phosphates target nervous systems in order to work at all. Yes, jury is still out, I hope I am wrong, the chemo pesticide industry is fighting this posit/ But I value our planet & all who live or will live upon it. I also am in the minority with the above mentioned Idea, but I was in minority on DDT & 245T also. Agent Orange was/is an Organo Phosphate as is/was DDT. Regardless of Monsanto's claims many US Troops paid dearly because 245T was used in Viet Nam. Thank God we stopped DDT & started to return wild bird populations as a result. Ugly topic with an Ugly History.

Chelated Copper kills all fungus. Copper does not kill much else unless high voltage runs through it. Copper is also a Micro nutrient, HMMmm why? Maybe because living organisms inherent awareness copper inhibits Fungii ?

Sorry to go off like that but I know what I know. I believe what I've learned. So I care & react because it's all I can do about it, besides me making my own regimen as non toxic as possible.

Thanx for the use of the Soap Box folks. . . . But I won't get over it without being proven wrong.

CIAO
    DeLand Dad