Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blc. Hawaiian Leopard

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.

Congratulations, Anne. I think you have a spike there on the first picture!

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

So far, this baby treats me to new joy on a daily basis.

This is the new flower to be!! It's growing like crazy, and now it looks like it's getting ready to open? See that little split on the top?

Name:  New Growth April 13 2009  Hawaiian Leopard 006.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  257.3 KB

Name:  New Growth April 13 2009  Hawaiian Leopard 005.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  130.0 KB

Now, on the other side of the coin, I am slightly concerned about several leaves which from what I've read, would appear to be needing water. This plant was just watered and fed yesterday though, and these leaves seem to maintain that wrinkly, somewhat mushy feel, no matter how much water the plant gets, and I don't want to overwater.

Name:  New Growth April 13 2009  Hawaiian Leopard 007 mushy leaf 2.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  308.5 KB

Name:  New Growth April 13 2009  Hawaiian Leopard 008 mushy leaf.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  62.7 KB

The leaves that appear to be suffering from this are only a few, and they all appear to be older growth (darker green). The plant is getting plenty of light.
    Should I consider cutting off any leaves that look this way? I don't want to do any harm to the plant, and especially the new flower (to be) that's growing.

I think, when the new growth stops on this one, I'm going to consider dividing it and repotting. Your thoughts?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

IMHO...No, don't cut off the leaves. If they are the older leaves that appear that way, it is not something you are currently doing. Let this one keep doing what it is doing and enjoy the coming blooms.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks BD!! I wasn't extremely worried, but wanted to make sure I don't do anything to hurt this plant. It brings me happiness and excitement every single day, and I love it already.

Real Name
    Clint M. Dawley
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

BD is right. Congrats on the flower bud--it will probably open within the next couple of weeks. The older growth on Catts after several years tends to look like that. The older shriveled leaves eventually drop--it's part of the natural growth cycle and nothing to be alarmed about.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    IMHO...No, don't cut off the leaves. If they are the older leaves that appear that way, it is not something you are currently doing. Let this one keep doing what it is doing and enjoy the coming blooms.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you Clint!! You know this baby better than anyone, and your opinion is valued more than you can ever imagine.

I'm a happy girl!!

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Looks like this baby is as anxious as I am for flowering. Only one shot today, but I can see it's grown a bit since yesterday (not as much as before), but it's also emerging away from the sheath/leaf.

I know many of you are probably bored to tears with this, but for a newbie like me, this is really exciting, and I love having photos to catalog the progress.

Name:  New Growth April 14 2009  Hawaiian Leopard 003a.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  98.1 KB

Real Name
    carrie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    all of them
    Member's Country Flag

I think its great to see the progress as I am new to orchids too and every little bit of growth excites me I found a new root on my phal. equestris v alba as well as the spike today so I am really happy and my phrag new growth is getting bigger, all these are like little victorys after our days of killing every plant we look at!

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Member's Country Flag

I see this is an old thread. But I have a problem with my Blc. Hawaiian Leopard that has me stumped. It looks like a few of you have experience growing it. About 7 or 8 months ago I received a healthy looking division of the plant from a fellow orchid society member. At that time it was just newly potted up in med fir bark.

I had major surgery and wasn't able to care for my orchids for several months, which left my hubby to the job of watering. When I could finally get to the greenhouse to look at plants, I noticed this plant had a mild infestation of scale (my first ever). 2 or 3 sets of mature leaves were sort of curling inward with scale on them. I did an aggressive clean-up with rubbing alcohol and then treated with malathion a few times, to make sure I got any newly hatched scale devils.

Some time prior to me finding the scale, the plant had put out 3 new leads. Each new growth was and still is about 2 or 2 1/2 inches tall and quite a dark reddish green. They have been on hold for months and I don't see any sign of new roots on them. I haven't un-potted or anything as I am afraid to do anything that will kill these new growths. There are a couple of withered old leaves on the plant but mostly shrivelled green pseudobulbs with no leaves.

I have watered using Super thrive and KLN in the hopes of encouraging roots, but to no avail. Has anyone seen this with Hawaiian Leopard. Or was it the alcohol and Malathion that has just given it a major set back. Any ideas would really be appreciated. I love the flowers of this plant although have yet to see them on my division. Thanks.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Malathion is dangerous stuff ; even used at the recommended strength it can damage the plant - try it on phallys, and one in 3 or 4 will then produce a new flower spike instead of a new leaf , and never produce another leaf...
    It's banned from sale or use in Europe.
    Most of these things also have some limit on how much you can use them ; e.g. Provado ( the UK and often European name) for a Bayer product - it's about the only systemic insecticide currently licensed for amateur use in UK - the Bayer web-site says it is only most-effective when diluted with water at a particular pH, and used at certain air temperatures and light values ; even then a maximum of 3 times per year ;considering that to deal with a scale infestation you need three sprays at intervals of about 5-10 days to catch the pests at all stages , that really means one go per annum at the most.
    A thing that many people don't know I find.
    My advice - as a 50 year long grower, currently with a couple of thousand orchids in many different genera, is keep your eyes open, and at the first sign of any pest, clean it off with cotton wool, or a paint brush, uising a little alcohol of some kind. Here in UK we have methyl alcohol sold for household cleaning purposes - and that's too strong to be safe on tender leaves ( ethyl is probably OK) , but I dilute with equal parts of water, and keep a supply on every bench. Chemicals I hardly use at all , unless I have been away for a few weeks, and coincidentally there has been an infection of perhaps scale which I find is widespread - then one set of sprayings and no more for another 12 months. Keeping the plants clean by wiping with cotton wool balls and clean water, is as good a way as any you will find - and a lot less expensive too !