Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Dendrobium phal -normal leaf discoloration?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

Default Dendrobium phal -normal leaf discoloration?

I've noticed for several weeks that the oldest leaf on this Dend phal has very slowly started to discolor. It even looks more wrinkled that it had before. It was looking blotchy at first, more like some of the green in the leaf thinned out. It has progressed enough that it shows up on camera. Before it was so slight that light coming from behind the leaf was needed to see the spottiness. Its starting to turn to light green and I'm guessing will eventually be yellow.

I took it out of it's pot. It was in a bark mix. I soaked the roots in water for 10 minutes. Trimmed off some that I thought were dead. Sprinkled with root hormone. I put the Dend in a new pot and just lightly put some sphagnum around it to prop it up. It will not stay in the moss. I just have to get some new bark mix. The stuff I had seems like it got moist from sitting in the bag.

I know eventually these ones will lose older leaves. I don't know if this is normal or if this is a sign of a problem or trauma. When the leaves yellowed and dropped on my other orchids they didn't look like this. So I want to make sure to confirm if this is normal or not.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

Bark in a bag should be moist...otherwise you'll have to soak it to use it the first time. Your dendrobium should have all brown and squishy roots removed. Soaking in water is okay if it's got some Physan or anti-fungal mixed in with a few drops of superthrive to help with root growth. Also, once cleaned and disinfected, I would recommend a bark mix with the smallest pot you can find. Let the den dry out between waterings. The most common mistake with orchids is overwatering. If you water more often and have bad roots alot, change your plants to more open mixes and clay pots. The clay will wick extra water away from roots. The dry rooting hormone can be applied, but you'll need to disinfect first...Before it straightens up it will probably lose all it's leaves. But with dens, as long as the canes are green you have no problem rescuing....it's when they are squishy I throw them away.
    Also; most dens will throw new growths no matter what. If you do some research on here you will find what others have done in this situation. I have a few I nearly killed now adapting to life on a stick mount. I too used to be bad with rotten roots....i'm finally learning that neglect can be a good thing with orchids. lol
    Good Luck

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

I soaked the roots hoping to be able to tell which roots are bad and which are good. I have trouble with that. To me they all look dead lol. Some weren't squishy but dry & hollow. I will get a smaller pot. The bark mixed had a strong odor. Almost musty. I don't remember what it was like when I first got the bag. I assumed since the mix was damp that it was no good. I didn't toss it though.
    So even though I already put the root hormone on it I should do a physan & superthrive soak? Then more root hormone?

Real Name
    Joe
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Den. phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Nicki, one of my Den phal's is blotchy too. The older the cane, the yellower the foliage. At the lower left you can see a new cane growing from the youngest part of the rhizome. It is bright green. I am not giving anything but bright light, water and light fertilizer. I recommend giving things a chance to settle down.
    Name:  Den phal.jpg
Views: 1945
Size:  25.7 KB

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

Ok thanks.