Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera question

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Ric
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Euanthe Sanderiana
    Member's Country Flag

In my humble opinion to get a good picture the order of priority should be.... 1. potographer 2. Lens 3. camera

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

I would go to a good photography shop (there aren't many around anymore) and tell them exactly what you want to do with the camera and what features are important to you. I'm not sure but you might even be able to email a good dealer and tell them what you're looking for. The quality of the lens will make the most difference. Remember the most important thing is that the camera will be good for what you want to do. You could spend a lot of money on a quality camera and lens and it might not be any good for close up pictures of flowers. I know, because that happened to me.

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Roth's
    Member's Country Flag

A bridge camera might be worth a look.Basically a bridge between DSLR's & compact camera's.
    I have a Sony HX200v which looks like a mini DSLR , it has many auto modes but can manually operated , not as good as my DSLR in some ways but very easy to use.Macro mode is really easy , in auto mode move the camera to within a couple of inches of subject & it automatically changes to macro mode , 1/2 press the shutter the button to focus & then fully depress to take picture.If you have good light the results are pretty good.
    Picture below was my first attempt on the first day i had it.
    ---- hidden link(s) discarded----

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Brassavola, and Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Big Steve is referring to what we "shutterbugs" call a hybrid camera. It is more or less the best of both worlds, the DSLR world, and the point and shoot world. Though point and shoots work good for basic pictures, you really need a DSLR to take better and more artistic photographs. But you also have to take into account that if you are going to purchase a DSLR that you are going to have to put in the time to learn how to use it, you will not be able to just pull it out and take awesome pictures like a pro. You have to learn how to manipulate your settings so that you can get the pictures that you want. Hence point and shoots type cameras previously being the camera everyone had, as all you have to do is point the camera at what you want to take a picture of and snap or "shoot" your picture. This is where the hybrids come into play, there are a great number of people who want the superior ability of the DSLRs, but don't know how to manipulate the settings, and know that they do not have the time to learn how to use it to the full extent. Hence the new line of hybrids, a hybrid takes the typical point and shoot and adds in alot of features that do not make it a fully customizable DSLR, but make some of the features that you could do with a DSLR into auto functions in the hybrid type of camera. Though there are functions that try and get you to what the DSLR could do, you are still going to be lacking because you are still going to be restricted by the single lens, and predetermined auto settings that it selects for you. Hence DSLRs where you can manipulate the camera to do exactly what you would like it to do. Well with all that being said if anyone has any further camera questions fell free to post a question or message me what you would like to know.

Oh and yes I am slightly into photography, I say this because since I've started my new job I haven't had time to just go somewhere and take pictures. So I've demoted myself in the photography field. Any how glad to hear that you were able to find something that should work for you.

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Roth's
    Member's Country Flag

not as good as my DSLR
    Hmmm i do have a DSLR , had them for about 10 yrs , i do know how to use it.
    OP asked for something easy , my bridge(what we call it it in UK) is easy to use.

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Brassavola, and Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Nice thing for me to note for future reference Big Steve. Thanks So what is the DSLR that you use on a regular basis? I myself am using an older DLSR its a Canon rebel XTi Its older but until I can afford something newer and better it will continue to work as I need it to.

-Steve

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Roth's
    Member's Country Flag

Basically the same as you , Canon 350D.
    I sold my macro lens & equipment due to finances so cheaper to get the new toy then to get lens , also the HX200v has full HD video at 60 fps for holidays etc.

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

We have an older camera with excellent optics that took lovely pictures, both distance and close up. Unfortunately the flash quit working, it eats batteries now and can be awkward to get pictures off of on modern computers. I may still get it out for closeups, the macro focus is awesome. One thing I would mention is to research and be sure you get a camera with good optics. A quality lens really adds a lot of value to the camera. My current little camera I haven't had long and don't fully understand, but its a great, inexpensive point and shoot digital camera. I don't think it takes great close ups, but I'm not a photographer, it works for me.

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Roth's
    Member's Country Flag

I meant to post a different piccie but was having problems with the link , since update seems to be working better.
    Note big piccie so will link , this was taken in auto mode , just got the camera within a couple of inches of flower & took the shot.
    Flower is less than 1" diameter.
    http://keycomm.co.uk/orchids/DSC00032.JPG

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Brassavola, and Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Nice picture Big Steve! I have a plant the is highly similar to the one in your picture from what I can see, and the flowers are very small.

-Steve