Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: surrounding negros, philippines

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Ron
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum, native orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ManilaByNight View Post
    Hi there BD,

now that you mentioned it .... i mean the "dream" of wanting to visit my beautiful country, the Philippines ..... I would suggest you visit the Batanes group of islands when you are here. It is absolutely paradise over there .... of course, no orchids over there but the place is fantastic and the scenery all around you is breathtaking! There is only one catch though and that is - the best time to visit the Batanes group of islands is during the summer (non-rainy/non-typhoon) season ( I guess that's around March-May) because that province is located on the northernmost tip of the main island of Luzon and is open to the Pacific Ocean and China Seas .... so you can just imagine if you visit that place during the typhoon season! Whew!

By the way, Batanes is part of the UNESCO list of world, cultural sites so being on that list you can just imagine what a beautiful place that must be.

I'd like to post some scenic photos I have here of Batanes, Philippines but I don't know where. Can I just add them here? I think Nelsons' (NTG) photo in the Introduce yourself-A pic of yourself was taken in Batanes - just shows you a slice of that beautiful, wonderful place!

Cheers!
    hi jojo,
    are you sure there are no orchids in batanes? there could be, right?

sure, just open up a thread in the eye candy section and post your batanes trip, im looking forward to it!

Real Name
    Jojo
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Vanda, Cattlya, Species
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by walingwaling View Post
    hi jojo,
    are you sure there are no orchids in batanes? there could be, right?

sure, just open up a thread in the eye candy section and post your batanes trip, im looking forward to it!
    Well I'm just guessing that there might be no (native/endemic) orchids there. I mean the place itself is soooo open to the wild, untamed typhoons and the raging pacific ocean. I may be wrong though.

There seems to be no big trees or clumps of them that grow there because if they do they'd be swept away or felled down by the typhoons during their season. If there would be orchids maybe these might have been introduced by people who might have moved there from other parts of the Philippines. But then again I may be wrong since I haven't seen any native species around that may be endemic to Batanes.