Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever wonder why big box stores never tag orchids with "real" names and just by genus?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

My first few orchids came from building supply store, garden section. They were Phals and had tags with the cross listed. I still have both of them 10 years and 500 orchids later. I recently visited one of those stores and they had Catts, NBS, all with names in the pot. They also had a bunch of blooming Phals all not tagged.

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Genus? :-) Miniatures
    Member's Country Flag

I have often wondered myself. I find this very annoying since I try to avoid "Noids." Also, I save the name tags of all my orchids that die so I can replace them. All too often, the big box stores have large and showy orchid plants (usually phals and dendrobiums) which upon closer inspection have rotten roots and possible pest problems. They also sometimes have a stressed appearance, which any orchid would get after being shipped and put in an area without proper light and too much water. Still, I can't argue with the point of view that this introduces people to orchids who might not otherwise buy one.
    The economic downturn has affected me adversely and I have had to cut back on buying orchids () I am trying to avoid the big box stores because I will see cheap orchids and end up buying them. I have to go and buy a sprinkler soon and I must exercise willpower.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

I get frustrated with the nurserys/greenhouses that also purposely pot phals, etc. so they will develop problems later so you will come back for a new one. In my area there is a huge market for "pretty flowers"....and when I heard they threw them out I wanted to cry. I have gotten smart enough to stop bringing the bug infested ones home, but I've actually brought home plants that the nurseries were throwing away. They think i'm loopy. I warn people that say they only kill orchids about this website, and encourage them to try again. Only this time they are armed with the knowledge of why the last one died and that it wasn't their fault. You'd be suprised how many go charging out to go to a reputable place to buy a new one to try again. So I agree, while it is great to get started with, but it can be frustrating for new growers that don't know why the plants are dying.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I have to confess to buying hardware chain store orchids (a couple of of phals, a cymbid and a den) and all have thrived and reflowered well.
    They are responsible for getting me started on orchids again after a gap of many years.
    Far from being cheap, around here they seem much dearer than comparable plants in our local nurseries.
    As someone pointed out, they are a good substitute for short lived bunch of flowers.

Scrubber