Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some Changes to our Home Page

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Thumbs up

Okay, I think the gap issue is fixed, but now the tabs are missing on the profile pages - but only in Internet Explorer. Everything works well in Fire Fox, Safari, Google Chrome, and Opera Browsers.

My favorite browser is Fire Fox, but Opera and Safari are also very good. I have not used Google Chrome very much, but do test the forum in it for compatibility and it seems to work well.

If you use IE, for the time anyway, you will not have access to member tabs within the profiles. I hope to figure this out, but after several hours, my eyes are crossing! LOL. I hope everyone enjoys the new updates.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Bruce, take a much deserved break. You earned it!! And thank you again for always thinking of ways to make this place even better than it is.

And for everyone out there, I know that Bruce will never ask, so I'll do it.... please consider a subscription, or at the least, a donation. A site like this takes money to keep going, and it's the best bargain in town. I know everyone is struggling with financial issues these days, but I'm sure Bruce is too, so let's help him out in any way we can.

Thanks y'all.

Real Name
    Roy Lee
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Ascda, Vanda, Paphs.
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post
    Great! Roy, did that fix your issue too?

cheers,
    BD
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Sure did Bruce, everything is great now, I thought it was me for a while.
    Thanks Shannara for put in the screen capture, I have no idea how to do that.

Real Name
    Richard
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Oncs, Neos, Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Nothing to apologize about Bruce. I've build my share of websites (none as complicated as this one) and I know how hard it is to test everything before it goes live, and to make sure that all links point to the proper place. It's very easy to have something blow up because there is one character wrong somewhere. The proverbial search for a needle in a stack of needles comes to mind. You did a great job (as always)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutal_Dreamer View Post

I am sorry about that, Richard. I removed the second login box from the home page (lobby) or 'root' page and it had the xhtml code for the drop downs under Community, Search, and Quick Links. It will take me awhile to get that working because I will have to figure out how to edit the header to include those elements without messing up the other pages where they still work. Thanks for pointing it out. I thought I tested everything, but it is really easy to miss things.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Lightbulb Another update...

Hi Folks!

I have reworked a bit of the sizing on the home page. Our community has been optimized for members using 1024 x 768 or higher resolution. After some research with google analytics, I found out some interesting facts that helped me decide the best way to code our pages. The following statics are over the last 30 days. Here is what I found:

Name:  stats.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  85.6 KB

29.20% of the people who visit the forum (members & guest) have screen resolution set to 1024 x 768.

16.42% have their screen resolution set to 1280 x 800

14.73% have their resolution set to 1280 x 1024

9.17% have their resolution set to 1440 x 900

7.16% have their resolution set to 1680 x 1050

3.34% (not set)

2.86% have their resolution set to 800 x 600

2.73% have their resolution set to 1152 x 864

2.62% have their resolution set to 1920 x 1200

1.84% have their resolution set to 1280 x 960
    So it appears that orchid lovers are also lovers of big screen, high resolution monitors! LOL.

Anyway, if your resolution is set to 1024 x 768 or higher (I still recommend 1280 x 768 or higher) then you should not have to scroll to see the home page after the updates this morning (it is after mid-night here now...lol)!

I hope this helps improve everyone's visits to our community. If you don't know how to set your screen resolution on your computer, send me a PM and tell me your operating system and I will do my best to help. I use windows, so mac people may have to help me if I get one of those request.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    carrie
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    all of them
    Member's Country Flag

I no longer have the scroll bar for side to side viewing which was a bit of a pest, It was only a small amount but always confused me ( it is easily done) Thank you so so much for sorting this out your the best, and I am with Anne, this site and Bruce gives and gives and gives its our turn, if we can, to give a little something back to help keep it running so we can enjoy it for many years to come.