Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: grow paph in african violet soilless mix with wick watering?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default grow paph in african violet soilless mix with wick watering?

Hi everyone,

I grew a few paphs a few years back, but fell out of the hobby for a while. Well it turns out the fire has rekindled and I dragged back out the lights for a second go.

Here's my question. I have had great luck with wick watered African violets using a soilless potting mix that is:

1 part peat moss
    1 part vermiculite
    1 part perlite

I think that part of my issues in the past were issues with watering. The wick method really takes all the guess work out of the process and really works for me. What are your thoughts on using this method for paphs? My two concerns they will be too moist and cause root rot or that salt buildup may be an issue?

Currently, I have a little experiment going with a maudiae hybrid but it has only been too weeks so it's definitely too soon to draw conclusions. However, the bloom and plant still look great so no negative signs yet.

Thanks in advance for any feed back

Well I didn't really get any feedback, but I also didn't get any "Are you crazy!!!!" postings either. I'll take that as a net neutral.

I ordered a starter package of 15 plants of species and hybrids. I'm going to be bold and use this potting mix with wick watering and see how it goes. I will post updates as to how my project is going.

Real Name
    Cindi
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts
    Member's Country Flag

It's carazy enough it might work! Arizona, I would guess has lower humidity? So this fine a mix would still dry out rapidly so the roots don't rot? wick watering might produce conditions similar to Semi Hydroponics, perhaps. I will watch for your updates with interet!

not sure but worth the try...let us know how the experiment goes.

I know someone who grows Cyms in manure...thought he was crazy but you should see his plants.

The vini hybrid I have already potted up is reaching the three week mark and still looks very happy with the bloom still going strong. It's potted in a clear pot and I can see new root growth is starting on one of the roots. I know this mix seems like it would be dense and waterlogged, but 2/3 of the mix is vermiculite and perlite which keeps the mix open and full of air. In fact, if I didn't wick water my plants they would dry out in 1-2 days.

Well the experiment just got underway. Check out my newly potted plants.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Cool. I look forward to seeing how they turn out! Thanks for sharing the experiment with us.

Cheers,
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by paphanatic View Post
    Hi everyone,

I grew a few paphs a few years back, but fell out of the hobby for a while. Well it turns out the fire has rekindled and I dragged back out the lights for a second go.

Here's my question. I have had great luck with wick watered African violets using a soilless potting mix that is:

1 part peat moss
    1 part vermiculite
    1 part perlite

I think that part of my issues in the past were issues with watering. The wick method really takes all the guess work out of the process and really works for me. What are your thoughts on using this method for paphs? My two concerns they will be too moist and cause root rot or that salt buildup may be an issue?

Currently, I have a little experiment going with a maudiae hybrid but it has only been too weeks so it's definitely too soon to draw conclusions. However, the bloom and plant still look great so no negative signs yet.

Thanks in advance for any feed back
    Any news? I am interested to hear your comments.

Time for an update!