Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: ? about bubble wrap for insulation

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

Default ? about bubble wrap for insulation

My outside west facing greenhouse wall is 10 degress cooler than the inside wall....I know,I know...put my cooler growing things there ,BUT for electric bill savings, we would like to put some bubble wrap on that wall, question ,do we put it on the inside or outside ??? It is going up against double paned glass...I do get a lot of condensation on the inside ???

[can't be of any help, just wish I had a greenhouse to have that kind of trouble with ]

well, just from an insulation standpoint, I'd say on the inside where the heat is. Don't know how well bubblewrap weathers either. Suppose that means more work moving all the plants though.

good luck
    p

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Gilda.
    I would put it on the inside. It might be more difficult in the beginning, but maintenance should be easier. (No wind or rain or ice pulling down on it) Actually, the bubble wrap sounds like a good idea. The air pocket between the layers should provide a good barrier against the cold.

I question how much light will be cut out by covering those windows though? Some plastics are made to block certain wave lengths of light. (keeps them from deteriorate too fast) Probably not serious, but you might keep an eye on those plants to make sure they are getting enough (or the same) amount of light that they are accustomed to getting. JMHO Hope it helps!

Cheers!
    BD

there are TONS of threads regarding this subject on gardenwebs greenhouse forum. Would be worth doing a search over there if you were getting ready to do this.

Gilda--definately on the inside.I used it for years but my house is fiberglass with wooded beams so I had a good airspace between so that helped with the condensation--almost non-existant.