Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: New grower and a little bit confused

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Desiré
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Member's Country Flag

Default New grower and a little bit confused

Hi,

I got my first Orchid, a Dendrobium Nobile, as a mother's day gift and I'm sooo excited and also afraid not to kill this one.

I'm also a little bit confused about the difference between the terms: keiki, new growth and spike.
    Those at the base of the cane have got a couple of roots. I don't know how long they are as they are buried in the bark. Are these keiki's? What should I do with them?

The ones at the middle of the cane do not have roots. Are they gonna have roots eventually and what do I do with those?

In the second picture you can see where the flowers used to be. Should I remove these myself or just wait until they fall off. If yes, how should I remove them?

Please help? Can also anyone explain to me for once and for all what are keiki's, spikes and new growth?

By the way any other information that will help me no t o kill my orchid is more than welcome.

Thanks.
    Dess.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Dess, Welcome. Since you posted the same thread twice, I just removed the one without the photos.

Cheers,
    BD

Keiki = Hawaiian for baby or child... On a Dendrobium, the keiki is typically found sprouting along the length of the cane or from the end of the cane. This is induced by the accumulation of growth hormones at that point, either naturally, or by the application of keiki paste. On a Phalaenopsis, a keiki is a small plant growing from one node along the flower stem. (the one in the middle of the cane...it will eventually develop roots)

New Growth = growth that usually develops from the base of the cane or last new growth and over time can develop multiple growth leads along a single, horizontal rhizome. Now this is true with sympodial orchids such as dendrobiums. (the 3 from the base of your plant)

Spike is the stem that will develop flowering buds (noun). (The short dried remnants that once held your flowers)

cane...an elongated pseudobulb, common term used for most p-bulbs in the genus Dendrobium

Real Name
    Desiré
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you very much Ron. I appreciate it!
    Now should I leave those dried remnants that once held my flowers alone and let them fall off by themselves? Or should I remove them?

In case of removal, please explain how?

From the above I understand that I should wait until the keiki's develop roots, before seperating them from their Mommy. But what about the new growths, should I leave them there as well?

I'm so sorry for asking this many questions........

Thanks for your time and patience.

Dess

Dess, you can remove the old spikes...can cut them close to the plant with a scissor.

The new growths remain to bloom for you next year.

The keiki on the side of the cane. wait for it to get roots about 1.5"-2" long and then gently twist it off and give it it's own pot. You can tag it with the same name as the mother plant. They are identical.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Ron!!

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-NY View Post
    Dess, you can remove the old spikes...can cut them close to the plant with a scissor.

The new growths remain to bloom for you next year.

The keiki on the side of the cane. wait for it to get roots about 1.5"-2" long and then gently twist it off and give it it's own pot. You can tag it with the same name as the mother plant. They are identical.
    Dess, just a reminder that if you cut anything, be sure you've thoroughly sterilized your cutting equipment.

Although sterilization of cutting tools can be important to prevent the spread of a virus, when cutting dead, dried material sterilization is not important.

Real Name
    Desiré
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Member's Country Flag

Wow Peepz thank you very much. It's all much clearer now.

Dess

Real Name
    Rebecca Luce
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya!!
    Member's Country Flag

Good luck with your dend! I think it looks very healthy...and truthfully, I never remove keiki's from my nobile dend canes bc I think they look kinda cool there! Also, one other thing I wanted to note: its very important for you to give your nobile dend a "resting period" in the fall, and here is how you do this: Starting about in late September/early october, reduce watering your plant...I would say only 1x about every 7-14 days. Also, the plant needs to experience a "cooling down" period for about 6-8 weeks, of roughly 45° - 55° F, which may be hard for you bc you are in the caribbean, but the nights might get cool there right? Probably not that cold, but do the best you can...the cooler you can get it, the better it will flower in the winter. Don't do anything crazy like sticking it in a fridge, bc that'll be too cold