Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Petals Bending In?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Petals Bending In?

About 2 weeks ago I received my first orchid, a phalaenopsis. I've been keeping it by a window in my room, I have the humidifier on, and I watered it a few days ago. The Orchid has about 7 flowers that are in bloom, and the 5 leaves at the bottom seem fine as well, however this morning I woke up and saw two of the flowers have their petals bent in. The top of the two petals are touching, forming a /\ type thing. Also it appears that the veins on these flowers are more apparent, maybe the petal is thinner? I'm not quite sure what to do. Help, please!

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Orkid,

I'm far from an expert, as you will see from my posts, but both of my phals did that when they were at the end of their blooming cycle........ or rather, when those particular blooms were at the end of their cycle. My big white phal (a NOID) still has loads of blooms (it's got three spikes with double cascades of flowers, but two curled up on that last week, and then fell off. The ones remaining are still okay, but starting to show signs of wear, and since I can't see any other reason, I'm just figuring it to be the aging process. There are two beautiful new leaves growing, and a very healthy looking root peeking out from under the leaves.

Maybe someone who knows more than me will have a better idea though, so let's see what they have to say. I'm learning, right alongside you.

Thanks for replying Anne! Your phals that bent in their petals, did they rebloom? It could very well be the end of the blooming cycle because this plant was a gift, so who knows where in the blooming cycle it was when I received it!

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

No.. no rebloom. And there are three buds, one at the end of each cascade, but they don't show any signs of growing or opening either. I'm just going to wait and see what it does. It's a gorgeous plant that I got at my local orchid society, and I've had it almost two months now.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

It sounds normal to me. Probably just the age of the blooms (Especially if they are the blooms very close to the bottom that opened first.)

Cheers,
    BD