Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New from New Jersey and my Onc Kalihi needs help!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Doreen DeBiasio
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals
    Member's Country Flag

Unhappy New from New Jersey and my Onc Kalihi needs help!

I found this website out of desperation. I have a 25X25 Florida room with a southern exposure and have been enjoying beautiful orchids of all species for about 5 years now. I purchased a georgeous Onc. Kalihi with multiple growths about 6 months ago. It was sold at a discount because the one spike it had was broken. Since purchased, it now has 5 additional spikes and the original has formed a new spike.
    For some crazy reason, the spikes keep getting cut before they can bloom. At first I thought a bird did when I had it outside, but it is still happening in doors. It's like someone cut it clean with a pair of scissors. I'm thinking it's some kind of bug.
    To date, four spikes have been cut and I still have three left. One has split and will have a double bloom and I am praying I can figure this out before it gets cut too.
    I sure hope someone out there knows what this is and can help me and my Kalihi.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Dordeb,

Welcome. It sounds like some kind of caterpillar or army worm. (Or mean neighbor... ) Have you tried spraying the plant and the medium with an insecticide? Is there any other signs of a pest? I had a heck of a time figuring out what was getting my tomatoes that I was growing in a pot on my back porch. I found out after spraying and using seven-dust all around that it was a big water rat! It would come up and cut the tops off of my tomatoes. I finally caught him in a live trap that I borrowed from the university bio department and I took him to the Spadra Creek about 5 miles away from my house and let him go. Hopefully, he will never come back! hehe..

A few questions: Does this always happen in the same place? Have you tried elevating the plant or hanging it from above so that it is not sitting on the ground or table?

Glad you are here and hope you figure out what is cutting off your spikes.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Anne
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Hi, and

25 x 25 Florida room? I'm jealous. Mine is only about 13 x 7 or so. It too has a south and east exposure, and it is now my orchid room.

I hope you solve the mystery of what's been getting your 'chids. Bruce is probably right, because I can't think of anything other than some sort of insect or such.

Post often, and please let us know what (if aything) you discover.

Real Name
    Margarita
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    ALL
    Member's Country Flag

Welcome, Dordeb! Glad to have you join us!
    Your spike problem sounds very strange... I like BD's idea for hanging the plant and may be attaching the spike to something?!
    We would love to see some pictures of your orchids!
    (I wish is a mean neighbor, then we can all think of a pay-back ideas...LOL)

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

Are there any pets or other animals-cats, dogs, birds-that can get to the plant?

Susan

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipedium

Are you using an insecticide? Try one that contains merit or imidacloprid. Spray the plant and get plenty down into the medum, it is both contact and systemic so the roots will take it up. Also some of the critters hide in the medium during the day. There are some sprays that come pre mixed and are safe inside. Also do you have a cat? They sometimes like some tender greens with dinner.

Real Name
    Joe
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Den. phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

A picture would help. So, this is a stretch to the far side of possibility, but do you support the spikes in any way? Might the spikes be snapping of their own accord do to weight?

I too suspect an insect hiding in the medium. The spikes are too wiry to break on their own

Real Name
    Doreen DeBiasio
    My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals
    Member's Country Flag

First off, thanks to all for the great recommendations. I am going to try and apply a few of them. I love these guys and watching the spikes get cut one after another is disheartening.
    Ron-NY, you are correct in that the spikes are quite sturdy. I just wonder what the purpose of cutting the spikes is. It doesn't seem that anything is being eaten.. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Thanks again,
    Doreen

In my garden there is an insect called "cutworms" it is a larvae of a moth. It arises from the ground during the night and will eat through the stem of a young plant. I am not saying that is what you have.

Is the rest of the spike left sitting next to the plant when cut?

One possibility is a mouse could be doing it. We had a mouse problem, in the greenhouse, at one time and there were cut spikes and chewed buds