Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

View Poll Results: Do you ever buy orchid for their foliage?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy orchids for their foliage?! Are you NUTS?!?!?

33 21.85%
  • Yes, but only jewel orchids.

7 4.64%
  • Not very often but once in a while I do.

67 44.37%
  • Well, yes. Doesn't everybody?

44 29.14%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever buy an orchid just for its foliage?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    whatever will bloom
    Member's Country Flag

Default Ever buy an orchid just for its foliage?

I realize blooms are generally the name of the game. However, occasionally I find myself looking at a plant not for its blooms but rather because the foliage or growth habit is just so (in my opinion) attractive, unusual, or just plain cool -- and I'm not talking the jewel orchids here. It's what led me to trade for a Dockrilla cucumerina. And it caused me to buy this one:

Name:  IMGP7495.JPG
Views: 3938
Size:  169.4 KB

(I left off the name purposely. Figured might as well give Ron, Tom, and some of the other members a chance to show off their orchid identification skills. )

So how about it? Any other oddballs out there?

Real Name
    Derek
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Brassia!
    Member's Country Flag

I buy orchids based on their foliage, and size....overall appearance is the name of the game. I got an unbloomed Maxillaria fredrichstalii just because it thought it looked cool!

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

I'm not so much into Paph. Maudiae-type hybrids. While I do like them, so many of them look the same. However, I do have a vinicolor that captivated me by the almost black foliage. The vendor I got the plant from had a whole tray of seedlings showing this tendancy, but the plant I purchased was even darker than the others there. I literally saw it from across the room and was drawn to it, so of course had to get it .

Susan

Real Name
    Rosalía
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cats, oncidium and slippers
    Member's Country Flag

most of my orchids are now without flower. And I still love it, the leaves, the shapes of leaves, the drafts in it and their arrangement in space. When they are in bloom, you can not pay much attention to the rest of the plants.

I bought many plants that were not in bloom, it's cheaper and you can still enjoy the whole process, see the spike (sheat) growing, bud and flower ...

by the way, do not know what is this one, rsrrs

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

I have some really pretty paphs that I like the blooms on, but love the designs of the blotches on the leaves.

Cheers,
    BD

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Well, you know me.. I'm a sucker for Paphs.. but that's kinda cheating a little bit... so the other plants that I have bought for it's foliage are Dockrillias, esp the Tongue orchids (Dockrillia linguiforme), the Dagger orchid (Dockrillia pugioniformis) and the Cucumber Orchid (Dockrillia cucumerina)..

Real Name
    Murray
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Oncidiums.Odonts and alliance
    Member's Country Flag

here is my latest edition in the foliage stakes

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...e-unusual.html

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Must admit that I like to see healthy foilage in a plant, although if it is not that good, I figure I can work it out and fix it.

Unusual foilage, well yes as that is the reason I purchased a phal amabilis Vareigated. What great breeding potiental if it is not virused.

Real Name
    Stephen
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Rhynch/Brassavola/Angc
    Member's Country Flag

Nope, just about the blooms for me. Love seeing healthy foliage, of course, but only because I know it's necessary for a good blooming.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Oncidium Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Post Preaching to the choir! (lol) I suppose . . . .

This poll is a good one, to say the least. I have been meaning to respond to it sooner....

Some people don't like orchid foliage? Really? Well, not me.....

Truthfully I am surprised that more people do not value the foliage of orchids in this forum as an end to itself, because the enthusiasm here is so great. There are several reasons why foliage alone is a reason to buy an orchid:

(1) As has been noted in this thread/poll sometimes an orchid out of bloom with healthy foliage is just striking, if not "cool." Recently I am taken by how different a lot of species Phalaenopsis have a character that is so refreshing to see in this otherwise common orchid. I am thinking particularly of the character of the foliage of Phalaenopsis bellina (syn. [I]Phal. violacea[/I] Borneo), an orchid that I just purchased that is now happily starting to bloom.

(2) Also healthy foliage, as stated here already, (alongside a good root system) is something I always look at when purchasing an orchid. I note that when I purchased Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima', the recent subject generating a fruitful discussion here on the Oncidium Alliance in general and its tolerance to warm growing conditions, the plant had leaves that were beginning to show stress. I should have been smart enough to realize that I was buying a plant in trouble; because this Oncidioda Charlesworthii 'Mishima' was stressed even before I set my hands on it. At any rate, vigorous, healthy foliage is not only beautiful but a key indicator of vitality of an orchid. I love to see a robust sympodial orchid busting out of its container. It is very beautiful to behold!

(3) Lastly, to me at least, I think a more narrowly defined view of orchids suggests that their foliage is not attractive, because some popular genera are not as attractive as others. Lets face it, with the great number of orchids naturally occurring and the hybrids being generated, it is easy to point to orchids that are beautiful for their foliage alone.

In this sense, I would echo sentiments about Paphiopedium and the numerous "Jewel" orchids. Phaius' foliage, too, is alone a lush tropical display with its broad leaves. Who can deny the beauty of long, lean arching foliage of Cymbidium and Dendrochilum! Also look at the fascination with ever popular and increasing varieties of Neofinetia falcata. What about the patches of blood red-burgundy contrasted to the dark greens on some Psychopsis' foliage! Then, there is Calanthe argenteo-striata! (See attached picture below!)

---- Perhaps I should stop! I just love looking at ALL orchids and believe that a greater examination of them includes appreciation of their foliage alone!

In any case, orchid foliage in of itself is beautiful to me! But, then, again there is not an orchid that I wish I could not cultivate for some reason. (lol) Foliage to me is often key!

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images