Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Substitute Maybe?: Wilsonara Pacific Perspective 'Pacific Heat'...?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Derek
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Brassia!
    Member's Country Flag

@ Tim-- Wow, that was some research. I should have written Odontocidium Wildcat Bobcat, that's my mistake from working from memory.

I have two of these guys, and one was labeled Odontocidium and one Colmanara. Here's a simple explanation as to why it is now labeled an Odontocidium rather than Colmanara. This is a result of some of the parentage being moved into the Oncidium genus. Specifically, the Miltonia in its ancestry has become an Oncidium.
    Last edited by navyderek; October 15th, 2009 at 12:44 AM.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Oncidium Alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Post Ergo! Odontocidium it is....

Hey Derek. As always you have shed some light on my previous post that took up the taxonomical question of how a stated orchid, like the Oncidium Wildcat 'Bobcat' AM/AOS, can have three different, commonly used genera names. (Again as noted above.) Whereas my thinking and research suggested a practical and logical solution to this synonymy--Colmanara--I also qualified this conclusion with a degree of uncertainty.

Because you have suggested a very good reason as to why Odontocidium is the better genus name; I will defer to your explanation as now the best name for the orchid at hand. To be clear here at this point, let me state for the thread that it seems best now to regard this highly regarded orchid as properly Odontocidium Wildcat 'Bobcat' AM/AOS, as Derek has stated! I hope all this discussion is clear for everyone as to why it is the better name and the one that should be used.

Maybe, however, I should articulate this conclusion more, though I risk being redundant. Also, Derek, your explanation is more succinct and less confusing to me than mine . . . so I do not want to detract from it. Nevertheless, I feel compelled to almost always state something in its fullness of "thought" for the sake of greater understanding.

So let me give it a go then!

As suggested, Miltonia is now struck from the parentage of this remarkable orchid, the originally stated Oncidium Wildcat 'Bobcat' AM/AOS. That makes it impossible logically to be Colmanara anymore, as I wanted to call the orchid last night. Recall Colmanara are made up of Miltonia x Odontoglossum x Oncidium. Odontocidium, on the hand, is the better name, if the Miltonia ancestry has now become Oncidium. For Odontocidium is only comprised of Odontoglossum X Oncidium. Its usage is more logical.

That seems clear to me now.

Too, it is also a relief to conclude . . . because, to me, practically Odontocidium offers greater ease of culture, especially to enthusiasts in warm to hot growing conditions.

This thread has been discussing warm (to even hot) tolerant members of the Oncidium Alliance (Oncidiinae). Because the reified Odontocidium Wildcat 'Bobcat' AM/AOS drops its Miltonia ancestry in favor of Oncidium, a greater ease of culture is suggested to me for anyone attempting to grow the more warm tolerant members of Oncidiinae.

A so called Colmanara Wildcat 'Bobcat' AM/AOS stipulates that two cool growing genera, Miltonia and Odontoglossum, are involved. A change of Miltonia ancestry to now Oncidium elevates possibly one part of the cool growing nature of this orchid. It would seem, then, that with this change, Odontocidium Wildcat 'Bobcat' AM/AOS is now equally (2x) Odontoglossum and (2X) Oncidium, because the Odontonia is no longer valid in the primary original cross of Odontonia Rustic Bridge x Odontocidium Crowborough. Or in other words, I am relived that Miltonia is gone in deference to Oncidium, because this change away from Odontonia strengthens the intermediate to warm tolerate prospects of this orchid in discussion over the more intermediate to cool conditions that Miltonia requires.

Again I hope that makes sense, as I am laboring to understand Odontocidium Wildcat 'Bobcat' AM/AOS!

Thanks you Derek for you insight again! Also many thanks to those who continue to read this thread. I know I am learning a great deal!

Tim