Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Phal species...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Phal species...

Some of you must grow species Phals. (I think Lisa has some). Are some of the species more difficult to grow than others? I don't have anything mounted so that won't work. Just wondering if they are more "picky" than the hybrids.

I have Phal Pulchra and it seems to be growing fine in my conditions.

Some are considered hard but if you have the right conditions they shouldn,t be that much more difficult than a NOID phal .
    Phal gigantea is supposed to be slow growing & prone to crown rot.
    Phal bellina semd to grow like a weed if it,s kept slighlty moist all the time.
    Most species will grow under the same conditions as the more usual hybrids with a little tweaking of conditions(a little more light , heat).
    There are some species that require a cool but bright winter , this may be difficult to achieve for a lot of people.
    Getting them to flower is a whole new ball game though.
    Just have to look up the particular 1,s your interested in & get some info of the WWW.

I've got two: a bellina and a violacea "Malaysia", and a primary hybrid Valentinii (cornu-cervi x bellina). I don't treat them any differently than my other phals. They're outside under shade cloth from about March to November, and under 4x40 watt fluorescents November to March. I grow in clay pots with sphagnum moss, fertilize with balanced time-released pellets, and water (with a hose or at the sink) whenever the top of the moss gets dry. Outside in the summer, this can be every other day sometimes; inside under the lights, it's about every 3-6 days, depending on the pot size. Maybe it's just the fortune of my good climate, but I don't do anything special for them and they do well for me.
    Liz

Thanks. And Liz, I am jealous of your good climate! But you must be treating them right too.

Real Name
    Loventana Lo
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too many to mention
    Member's Country Flag

I have Phal schilleriana and this one is my 3rd attempt. The first two failed because I tried to grow them in pots. I'm not sure if that was really the cause of my two failures but the one I have at present is mounted and now have 2 spikes on its second blooming. This also stays outdoors from spring (soon after blooming) until the first cold snap in winter, anytime between Dec. to Feb.

Yikes.....that is one of the species I was interested in but I would be growing it in a pot too. Does anybody else grow this in a pot?

My mom bought a Phal schilleriana last Easter. It's in a pot and I believe is doing fine. She's away this week, but when she gets back I'll check what she does to keep it happy. Nothing very complicated, I know.

Julie

I have a few Phal. mannii. They like slightly higher light levels, and a dryish winter, but nothing too demanding. Of course, I haven't had them for long, so I might run into problems yet.

Default Phal species

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum today. I grow almost exclusively Phalaenopsis species. Phalaenopsis schilleriana like to be kept on the dryer side alittle more than other Phals. I grow mine two ways, both in pots. One is to have the plant in a clay pot with sphagnum and styrophone peanuts in the bottom. The second is in a clear plastic pot with slits down the sides, with sphagnum an more styrophone peanuts in the bottom. Place the sphagnum losely in the pot. 1/3 sphagnum and 2/3 peanuts. Keep the humidity high. I recommend this species for its beautiful arching sprays of pinkish flowers. Good luck.

Welcome Phalphanatic!

With a name like that, you'll fit right in!

Julie