Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Seeking Advice please

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Michael
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Question Seeking Advice please

I purchased 8 Phals. at an orchid show 3 months ago, all were in bloom.
    One died within a week and one other isn't doing very well. Am attaching some photos of this one as I am wondering why it is not doing well like the others. The center leaf began to rot and died about 6 weeks ago & therefore
    the hole in the center of this plant. One leaf is firm the other soft, but green. I suspected overwatering at the show and have drastically reduced
    giving rain water as it is very warm/humid in Thailand (32C daytime and never below 25C. at night). Obviously no cool nights here as phals. like, so I just started turning on a fan at night, also for good air circulation although they are in a patio outside (good idea??). They get good filtered light there, no direct sun. There is a new root starting to grow on the top of the plant in question, so it is not dying...
    My question is does the plant perhaps need repotting or would that cause shock to a plant in this condition? They are all planted in moss and some pieces of styrofoam towards the bottom of the pot, as I saw in the one that died. How does one know when to repot a purchased phalaenopsis?
    Many thanks for some advice!

Cheers, Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Real Name
    Randy
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda and Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

if it planted in moss, you may need to repot it. Id check the roots too. I'll leave the rest
    to somebody more experienced with phals.

Real Name
    Eric Mosunallee
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Phals
    Member's Country Flag

As a general rule it's always good to re-pot a newly purchased orchid (after it finished blooming, and if it's not looking healthy) in your preferred mix that suits your growing environment and culture.
    From experience I know that most orchids sold are either used to a particular growing environment or have been forced or groomed in some way to promote its flowering. Having said this if your plant is sick after you purchased it, it definitely needs re-potting. Just summarising the main points that you will find in most culture sheets: 1. very good drainage and adequate moisture retention in your mix. 2. appropriate size of pot, 3. Good air movement around the plant. and 4. for phals watering the leaves is a no no if it is showing signs of rot.
    Give your plants a fresh start Michael, and leave it in a coolish/ventilated shaded spot for three weeks with minimal watering and see how it goes. I wish you good luck.

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

It looks like the crown/growing tip of the plant have rotted. If this is the case, the plant cannot continue to grow unless it puts out a keiki. It might do this on its own, or if you have access to it, apply some keiki paste to the base of the plant.

Susan

Real Name
    Eric Mosunallee
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Phals
    Member's Country Flag

I just noticed from your pictures that all the pots are sitting in saucers... I don't think it's a good idea, as the pots do not have any lateral holes, and the drainage at the bottom are blocked, meaning no air circulation through the medium and around the roots. Either lift the pots on a layer of large pebbles, or put them on a kind of rack or mesh where the bottom is completely clear.
    As for the crown rot, you have to follow what susan said above.
    Cheers
    Eric

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

At this moment, I would suggest you to NOT repot the plant. It is already very stressed and it seems to be growing in a clay pot (the roots must be sticking to the pot like an adhesive). It will probably produce a keki and then the plant may live. Water it such that it dries in 2 to 3 days. It seems to have a good root system, hope it recuperates.

Real Name
    Michael
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you all for your advice, much appreciated! I detected a tiny keiki at the back of
    the base so nature is taking its course! How long after the plant has finished blooming
    can one apply keiki paste to the spike and at what height would be ideal since the spike
    is still green and alive, just no more flowers? Thanks!

Cheers, Michael

Real Name
    Susan
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal and Paph species

I would agree with Amey and not repot the plant at this time. I would just leave everything as is until the keiki gets bigger. The existing leaves will help support the keiki's development. As far as using the keiki paste on the spike, I have never done it, so am not sure how long after blooming. I believe I have heard it is better to use for keiki development during warmer temperatures. The paste is applied on spike nodes. I have seen people apply it on the nodes around the middle of the spike, but am not sure if there is a certain recommendation.

Susan