Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cattleya Virus Question

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis, Cattleya, Dendro
    Member's Country Flag

Default Cattleya Virus Question

Hello. well, this is my first post and i am actually new with orchids. I got my first cattleya last may when i found it thriving and growing wildly in a driftwood at my parent's house. my mom never fertilized or pruned or even watered it. it has about a hundred or so pseudobulbs. She said she has them for almost 8 years or so.

I have a question about this plant. When it flowered from about may to October, it went into a flowering frenzy of about 15-20 spikes averaging 4-6 flowers. However, most if not all of the flowers has some kind of deformity. The top sepal is either missing, curly or has a white streak, and sometimes the 2 petals adjacent to it are streaked or curly too. some are worst than others. I am posting a couple of pictures of the flowers.

My question is, could this be caused by a virus (the leaves, especially the new are fine with no discoloration/spots; and with some black spots/bruises on the older leaves), genetic, or was just not taken cared of properly?

i know if it is viral, nobody could be certain unless a test is done but i have been looking for a test kit with no success. if it is genetic, there is nothing i can do about it. and if it was just not taken cared properly, i am trying to prune and fertilize the plant with proper aseptic technique (alcohol and flame)

i am scared of this is viral as i bought a few phalaenopsis and repotted a few pseudobulbs from the cattleya plant, and placed them in the same bench. they could have came into contact or something.

i just want to know what the experts here think. thank you very much.

raymund
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Real Name
    Roy Lee
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya, Ascda, Vanda, Paphs.
    Member's Country Flag

In my opinion, it could be virus BUT the way the flowers are, is not the way virus affects flower that I have seen. I have seen distorted flowers and color breaks but in a totally different for. Has there been any chemicals sprayed around the garden in the last few months ??

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Like you said, it is hard to tell if it is virus or not without a test, but to me it looks healthy. Hopefully, Roy's idea about an environmental influence is correct. Either way, I have not read or seen anyone say that a virused cattleya has ever spread to a phal. Your cattleya is really beautiful.

Welcome to Orchidtalk.

Cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for the reply guys.

Well, i have not been using chemical of any kind, but i was also thinking, since my parent said that this plant only flowered a few times the last few years and she was surprised when i told her that this plant is having a frenzy growing spikes. Hopefully it was from a change in environment, pruning and i started to give it half strength fertilizer twice a month.

thanks again Roy and BD.

love this forum
    raymund

Real Name
    Ron
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum, native orchids
    Member's Country Flag

hi raymund,
    im pretty sure its not a virus, coz i have the same catt and ive seen hundreds around leyte and samar with all having the same kinda deformations.
    my guess is, yours started flowering like crazy coz it was long overdue to divide the big plant.

so, everything is normal, i will attach a pix of my catt and you will see the same white streaks, spots or deformed petals.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

thank you very much ron. i am glad to know that!

raymund

Real Name
    Randy
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda and Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

i think i have the same cattleya, i'll check when i get home.... anyways, i dont think it is
    virused as well (but of course my knowledge is limited).... this is what happened with my cattleya.
    When the buds started to emerge from one of the sheaths, i brought it inside the house, big mistake,
    the sudden change in condition caused the blooms to look like that. So when one of the sheaths
    started to spike as well, about 2 weeks later i left it indoors and it was beautiful and very
    fragrant....

Are you growing outdoors? maybe the buds got rained on while it was still developing, or maybe
    changes in the environment, like here in Pampanga, it could be hot and sunny one minute and
    raining hard the next.

Real Name
    Brandon
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

From my experience, limited as it is, this doesn't really look like a virus. It looks like the streak is similar on the dorsal sepal on several of the flowers while the rest of the flower looks normal. With a virus, I would expect random color break. This may be some genetic trait since it is reproduced in such a similar fashion on most, if not all, the flowers. So far, all of the plants I have had that I was convinced were virused have tested negative. The ones that have tested positive usually were not particularly ill but were just kind of slow-growers. Go figure.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Weather has been really crazy this season. it was raining a lot during the dry season (about march to may) and we had like the worst indian summer during the wet season (about june to sept). it could be the cause too... i am looking forward next year as i repotted some bulbs and will see if the small deformity persists, then it could be genetic.

and on the mother plant, i see like new growths now. i counted 8 new growths now.

thanks guys. now i can sleep well knowing my catts are fine!! hehehe

raymund

Real Name
    Ron
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum, native orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raymund_jesus View Post
    thank you very much ron. i am glad to know that!

raymund
    you are welcome,
    im convinced its just a genetic failure passed on over generations, coz this cattleya is the most common here.