Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oncidium intergenerics

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Oncidium intergenerics

Of the many oncidium intergenerics, I wondered which ones are easier to grow and I know it depends on your climate. Here, it can get into the 90s in the summer outside and almost as warm inside in my sunroom. Specifically, some that I was wondering about were Burr., Dgmra., Bllra., Vuyl. and their likes.

Does anybody with warm summers grow these?

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

I grow a lot of intergenerics....about any will do ..that is the beauty of the intergenerics..took the fussiness out of their growing. I also summer mine outside in a lath house, and our summers should be similar ! I have a brassidium Shooting Star 'Mustard' that blooms 3-4 times a year !

Colmanara Wildcats really do seem to grow & spike very quickly.They don,t seem to need much more light than Phals & they absolutely love s/h.
    Wilsonara,s(well Wils Sirling Tiger) does seem to grow slower & seems to be more light sensitive(reads burns easy).
    Vuyls also seem to thrive with out much attention .

Wow, 3-4 times a year!

So, Vuyls are not particularly heat sensitive?

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Debbie, Vuylstekeara is made up of Cochlioda x Miltonia x Odontoglossum, the last two of which are heat sensitive. The ones I grow here have to be kept in the cool side of the greenhouse, near the cool cell, expecially in mid summer when temps in there can reach close to 100 F. They don't like that much. They're more tolerant of heat than straight Miltonias or Odonts, but not by far. If you want to grow intergenerics where it's very warm (and I think they're great, especially as confidence-boosters since most can bloom at least twice a year and their spikes can be very colorful and showy), you're going to have to find a way to cool down anything with Odontoglossum or Miltonia in the mix. In the fall, winter and spring, they do great, but in the summer they can start to suffer if you want to grow them outside. You might have to resign yourself to keeping them indoors near a bright window, or wetting them down outside on an almost daily basis and letting the breeze dry them / cool them off.

So are you suggesting that I need more confidence?

I guess most of them would be too heat sensitive for me, then. It gets so hot here in the Summer. Louis of the ones I asked about, are there any that are better? (Like Dgmra?)

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

LOL! Yes, everyone who grows orchids needs a confidence boost every now and then, especially if they want to grow other things that can be difficult given their conditions. I know that that's true for me, anyway. It's nice to see something come into bloom on a regular basis, even when other things seem to be stubborn--(species paphs and phrags, for most people.)

Dgmra. is Brassia x Miltonia x Odontoglossum, and Beallara (Bllra.) is Brassia x Cochlioda x Miltonia x Odontoglossum, so both of those other two you asked about also have cool-growing natures in their backgrounds. The Colmanara Steve mentioned is Miltonia x Odontoglossum x Oncidium, and Wils. even has some Odontoglossum in it. None of that means they won't do well for you, it just means you're going to need to take some extra care keeping them cool in the middle of July and August, when it gets 100 degrees and above. So if you're willing to go to some extra trouble during those months, they'll be fine. Like Gilda said, in most respects they're really not fussy growers, and all it might take is a quick spray-down to help keep them cool during the hottest days. I have to do that here, even with things that are warm-natured which I like growing outside. The Vandas, for instance, get watered three times a day in the middle of summer, even under their shadecloth. I just hook up a hose and sprinkler to a timer, and that's all there is to it. If you're worried about overwatering them, just repot them in a coarser mix so they'll dry off faster.

LOL.
    Coming from the UK heat tolerance isn,t 1 of the things i really have to consider.s/h should help to keep the roots cool & you shouldn,t have to worry about over watering.

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

I have Degam. Brsdms, Colmn. Vulk, Miltdm, others I can't rem...they all do fine through our TN summers, and I don't water them down when they are outside, other than their regular watering.

Our temps in TN in the summer are around upper 80's , occasionally low 90's. High humidity.

Nothing ventured ,nothing gained...boost your confidence by trying one ! It's only an orchid.

I think I will try it out....

I actually do have a Bllra. and it got a bit yellow under the florescents where I had it positioned. So I just moved it to the end of the light. They really seem to love s/h, it produced roots like a banshee.

Do banshees have roots? What are banshees?