Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Potting medium for Miltonia

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Potting medium for Miltonia

I'm relatively new to miltonias ('pansy' type). I've been procrastinating about repotting them because I have no idea what to put them in. The medium they came in has an awfully fine texture compared to what I'm used to and I have no idea what it is. As always, thanks in advance for any advice.

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phrags
    Member's Country Flag

The mix they are in is probably Pro Mix ,which is a peat based mix. My farm and garden stores carry it along with other peat based mixes.

If it needs repotting I would use that again, as milts love a constant ,even moisture. Especially if you grow in the home, it is hard to keep from getting horribly pleated leaves. I switched mine over to a peat based mix last year and they have done much better.

Happy growing!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilda
    The mix they are in is probably Pro Mix ,which is a peat based mix. My farm and garden stores carry it along with other peat based mixes.

If it needs repotting I would use that again, as milts love a constant ,even moisture. Especially if you grow in the home, it is hard to keep from getting horribly pleated leaves. I switched mine over to a peat based mix last year and they have done much better.

Happy growing!
    When you say "peat based mix" do you mean soil?

When you say "peat based mix" do you mean soil?
    ProMix is about 75% peat moss. The rest is perlite and vermiculite. Never in a million years would I have thought to pot up an orchid in it, but it really works for Milts, provided you bolster drainage with plenty of styrofoam peanuts. Switching to it has eliminated my pleated leaf problem entirely (Thanks again, Gilda).

Mine seem to love s/h(i suppose because of the even constant moisture) , but because i grow in the UK it may be different for conditions in the US.

I repotted 1 of my mums Milts earlier in the year & the leaves pleated slightly , probably because i withheld water for a couple of weeks to encourage root growth.When i repotted into s/h no problems with pleating.

ive never had any miltonias, but i thought that wrinkled leaves = not enough humidity. does the humidity thing only apply to onc. alliance plants? or can the leaves get wrinkled on these because of lack of water too?

thanks, all!

Kewpie, lack of humidity may account for some pleating, but I can't see it being the cause of mine, simply because it is so humid here. We're talking swamp humid. And during the winter, the house is still humid on the account of the radiators, so by process of elimination I assumed my leaf pleating came from lack of water rather than insufficient humidity.