Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear pots

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Clear pots

I finally ordered some clear pots and recieved them this AM. I wish I had ordered some a *long* time ago. What a bonus to see how the plants are doing in the medium. I repotted some orchid that I had no clue if they were growing any roots (discount shelf a while ago). I was pretty shocked to see that roots in 3 of the plants completely filled the pot (no wonder there were so many arial roots). It looked like that one post Sue posted with the roots so dense it looked like a cup of spaghetti. So to make a short story long, the clear pots should take alot of the guesswork out of when to water.

Hi Traci

New guy here. I've been lurking for a bit.

So far, I only have one plant in a clear pot - a Sharry B that came that way when I received it in a trade. They are nice for the root reason you mentioned and also for watering. You can get a partial idea of what's going on inside the pot as far as moisture levels go.

My only irk is how they look. Hope I don't step on any toes here, but I really don't like the whole look of a clear pot. I usually just place my Sharry inside a clay pot so I won't have to look at that pot. Am I being weird or do others have a "thing" about how their pots look?

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by TundraKev
    Hi Traci

New guy here. I've been lurking for a bit.

So far, I only have one plant in a clear pot - a Sharry B that came that way when I received it in a trade. They are nice for the root reason you mentioned and also for watering. You can get a partial idea of what's going on inside the pot as far as moisture levels go.

My only irk is how they look. Hope I don't step on any toes here, but I really don't like the whole look of a clear pot. I usually just place my Sharry inside a clay pot so I won't have to look at that pot. Am I being weird or do others have a "thing" about how their pots look?

Kev
    I don't think you are being weird, it is a preference. I display my in-bloom orchids upstairs in a decorative pot. I think plastic pots on an ethstetic (sp?) level are less than pretty, but the clear ones will be good for growing purposes.

I've got most of my phals in clear pots, as well as a Brassia; I like being able to see what's going on - at least, as far as the medium allows.

funny, but I never gave much thought to decorative pots, i've kept them to what was available or whatever they showed up here in. the baskets are different - above eye level, hanging in the windows of my livingroom, they're conspicuous, so i've made more effort to have them look ok.

some nice pots might not be a bad idea....

p

Quote Originally Posted by peteMc
    some nice pots might not be a bad idea....
    You can have it both ways! Just take a bottle of Gordon's Gin, empty it in an appropriate and responsible manner, and then cut the top off and drill a hole in the side. Transparent and decorative! This also works well with 'Old Crow' Bourbon.

heheh. thanks for the tip, Sue, but I'm afraid I finished all mine a while back...might i enlist your help with the 'appropriate and responsible' part?
    lemmeesee, i've got to have three or four that will need repotting soon....

p

Real Name
    Loventana Lo
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Too many to mention
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sue
    You can have it both ways! Just take a bottle of Gordon's Gin, empty it in an appropriate and responsible manner, and then cut the top off and drill a hole in the side. Transparent and decorative! This also works well with 'Old Crow' Bourbon.
    Sue, those are glass bottles you are talking about, right? Any tips on how to cut and drill holes on the side without breaking them?
    BTW, I don't drink but I do have an empty XO bottle and I think it would be nice if I could grow something in it .

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Sue, those are glass bottles you are talking about, right?
    No, those are plastic bottles. Only the best for my liver!

Seriously, though, Gordon's is actually high quality gin, despite that it's cheap and comes in plastic bottles. Ranks very high in blind taste-tests, with a strong juniper flavor. But perhaps I should extol the virtues of Gordon's in the Alchohol thread and let this one get back on topic . . .

As far as drilling/cutting into glass, I've never done it and don't know how to safely. I can tell you that they make special drill bits for use on ceramics, and that if you use a regular drill bit you'll be very likely to break the bit, the pot, or both. Those ceramic bits work very well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    Sue, those are glass bottles you are talking about, right? Any tips on how to cut and drill holes on the side without breaking them?
    BTW, I don't drink but I do have an empty XO bottle and I think it would be nice if I could grow something in it .
    Maybe you could call a glass blower to get some tips, or maybe they could do it for a small fee.

Quote Originally Posted by TundraKev
    Hi Traci

Kev
    I guess I should clarify something just so you don't think I have all my plants in little Daisy pots or something . I just like fairly neutral stuff: mostly clay, if in plastic - black or dark grey, baskets - I make my own. I REALLY hate those bright green pots.

Just my thing, I guess.

Kev