Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi rootless Phal in Semi-hydro?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Dana
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium & Phal

Default Semi rootless Phal in Semi-hydro?

I got a Phal that has only 2-3 roots, due to root rot. So, I`m wondering, if it is a good idea to try it in S/H? I`m not sure, becouse I`m thinking that it would be too much stress, since it has to be repotted anyway...And, also, shoul I cut off the spikes?I`m rather reluctant to do that, but it may help the plant to revive itself...Thanks!

Real Name
    Maria
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

are you willing to experiment? i have moved about a 1/4 of my phals into s/h. they are doing swimingly (excuse the pun). some immediately (like in days) grew new leaves or roots, others took a bit longer. there's always a chance you may lose it. since i've started experimenting with s/h i have lost two plants but they were little weaklings. let me know what happens. i'm less nervous now about plunking a plant down into s/h now because i've had great results, its easier for me to grow, and downright excititng to see the roots grow before your eyes!!! Good luck!!!

Real Name
    Amey Bhide
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Whatever you decide SH or no SH please cut the spike, it will reduce a lot of pressure from the plant.

Real Name
    Satish
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Dendrobium, Aerid, Phal
    Member's Country Flag

Yes. I would agree with Amey on cutting the spike to help the plant rejuvenate and grow.

Real Name
    Giovanna Diliquay
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis Species.
    Member's Country Flag

I always repot all my orchids in s/h pellets. It's better to underwater than overwater though. If there is rot in the plant, it could overstress it. Try potting in in s/h but in a normal pot with free drainage holes and water it whenver it gets dry (which is going to take it a while if it only has 2 roots).
    I keep all kinds of orchids in s/h pellets, inlcuding neos, dens, oncidiums, cymbidiums and phals.
    Make sure there's good drainage and good air circulation. I made the mistake once of bagging it while in s/h, which is a no-no. They can survive underwatering, but overwatering? Never. Good luck!

Real Name
    Dana
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium & Phal

Thanks to all for your replies! Well, I did cut the spikes, put them in water...they look nice! I think I`m gonna try that S/H thing..Giovanna, I didn`t understand well, do you sugest to try to put the pellets in a normal pot, that has holes underneath the bottom?or the pot that has holes a few cm above the bottom? I`m going to buy pellets tomorow, but I sow that there are diferent sizes of them, any sugestions?Thanks in advance!
    PS> I hear that summer has already begun in Greece,lucky you!

Real Name
    Branka
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Small species...
    Member's Country Flag

Smile

Hi, lately I have some problems with my phalaenopsis (well, the roots were rot), so I put it in the semi-hydro. Here is the pipcs - rot roots (september last year and now- with new roots).
    I do hope you make it too
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Real Name
    Giovanna Diliquay
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis Species.
    Member's Country Flag

Hello to you too!
    Unfortunately, summer hasn't started yet, and I'd appreciate it if we got some winter for starters....It's the longest autumn (with some spring days) we've had so far. Someone must be messing with the "weather" button for sure. Every week it's something different. New Years was 21C... and in the southern isles even 25C! I can see some almond trees in the neighborhood blooming, which is a month too soon. Now however it's chilly again (7-10C) and raining.
    To be clear: I use normal pots with drainage holes on the bottom but fill them with s/h pellets, and water as needed. I found that s/h with a water reservoir was really helpful in the summer, with all the heat but stress the plants during winter in dry room inside the house, as the light is significally lower and air movement is minimal.
    However I like to be in control and prefer to underwater than keep them in complete moisture. I have lost 2-3 plants, including the easiest species ever: 2 phal equestris due to s/h with a reservoir in autumn.
    So during the summer months I daily shower them in the morning and leave them be.

Real Name
    Dana
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium & Phal

Paph,it seems a lot like my Phal, hope this turns out well. So ,here is the thing- I didn`t want to take chances with the Phal that had those lovely greenish flowers with purple dots, so I put it in bark...Hope it will rejuvenile itself with those 2-3 roots it has. I read that the plant shouldn`t be transfered to S/H when it has NO new root growth,so I didn`t do it,becouse it had no new growth.
    But, I wanted to try hydrotone,so here`s what I did.
    Giovanna, I listened to your advice, and decided to try that with other Phal that is so miserable, that if this doesn`t work, I won`t be as miserable, becouse it would die on me anyway, I think. It has 3 small roots, shrieveled leaves, you name it. So I put it in regular holed pot, in hydrotone, and on the tray of wet pebbles of hydrotone...And I crossed my fingers! Thank you all!!!
    Here is the first one that I wanted to try in S/H, but I got scared!
    Name:  januar10 276.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  62.4 KB
    And the poor thing I`m keeping alive, for now...
    [ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  januar10 281.jpg
Views: 2500
Size:  108.9 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Real Name
    Giovanna Diliquay
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis Species.
    Member's Country Flag

I've had phals like this... usually from friends who got them as gifts, planted in moss in a glass container without drainage holes. It takes a whole season (spring-summer) to get results (root growth and maybe a leaf or two) and now is the most difficult time (winter). Personally, considering that the phal has no roots, I'd prefer a shorter pot and remove the second container. That much potting medium will do more harm than good for a phal that is rootless. There is a lot of moisture and that could cause yellow leaves which leads to a quick death (within 5 days). That much moisture is very welcome in the summer when the phal will have roots and absorb it..but now...