Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New orchid- What do I do with these roots

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default New orchid- What do I do with these roots

Hello all:

I just purchased my first orchids, but noticed that some of the air roots sticking out of the plant were cracked. All the sheathing around the center was broken, and some/ of then are browning. My camera couldn't get great detail, but this is essentially what I am talking about:

So should I prune them or let them be? If I prune them, do I do it all at once, or over time so I don't shock the plant?

Thanks for the advice!

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.

I would not prune any roots that are white or green these roots are alive. Pruning alive roots can really affect the health of the plant. If the roots turn brown these roots are dead and o.k. to prune. Healthy Roots= Happy Plants

Hmm it seems my post was deleted. I tried to edit it to add more pictures but it seems the board didn't like that.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I know I'm not supposed to cut the air roots, but some of the roots look damaged. I know it's hard to tell from the picture, but some of the outer roots are destroyed all the way around. It is kept intact by the middle of the root, but the outside of the root seems damaged. I'm worried that these broken roots are a negative for the plant. Is it possible they will repair themselves?

I'll post more pictures once I have the ability to post without having to wait for moderator approval. Thanks again

2 more pictures showing the breakage (the areas that are not smooth on the closest air root). Those are areas where the protecting sheath has been destroyed, and it is brown in this outer layer.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

As long as your roots aren't squishy they should be okay. I don't trim roots usually unless I am repotting. Also; alot of the air roots will wither and dry when a plant is in the home. That doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem. As long as the roots within the potting medium remain healthy all should be fine.

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjcorner View Post
    As long as your roots aren't squishy they should be okay. I don't trim roots usually unless I am repotting. Also; alot of the air roots will wither and dry when a plant is in the home. That doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem. As long as the roots within the potting medium remain healthy all should be fine.
    I agree...I was about to post the same thing. For a freshly broken aerial root, I would apply something to deter any bacteria, IMHO.

Real Name
    Dana
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cymbidium & Phal

Hi! It looks to me that you put the plant in new bark, without discarding the old medium-sphag, is that right?If it is the case, you should repot again, becouse you need to remove all the old sphag, and then you can repot in fresh bark. Sorry if it isn`t the case, but it looks like it from your pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyday View Post
    Hi! It looks to me that you put the plant in new bark, without discarding the old medium-sphag, is that right?If it is the case, you should repot again, becouse you need to remove all the old sphag, and then you can repot in fresh bark. Sorry if it isn`t the case, but it looks like it from your pictures.
    Someone repotted it for me at the nursery that I bought it from. You are right though, they just took it from its container and added lava rocks to the outside. The other one I believe she just moved without adding new material. Will this be detrimental?

More pictures. There are 2 orchids here, the blooms are on the plant in the yellow pot. Should I look at repotting just the one in the blue, yellow or both? Should I wait until after they have bloomed?

There is also a better picture of the root breakage in pic 3

Thanks for all the advice.

My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.

You don't usually want to repot an orchid that is in bloom. After they loose their blooms you can repot them. I use a medium grade or course orchid bark. Get rid of the sphagnum moss when repoting then water well.
    Posted via Mobile Device