Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Epidendrum

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Another Epidendrum

I picked this one up the other day on clearance - it has two actively blooming spikes with more flowers on the way! This is third Epidendrum and the more I see them the more I like them... (I see more in my future).

christopher
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nice color, Christopher! I love epi's too!

Julie

Beautiful color, Christopher. How tall is it without the spike? How often does it bloom?

The plant is about 14 - 16 inches tall to the base of the spike. Since I just bought it, I'm not sure how often I can expect it to bloom. The other epidendrum that I have had for a number of years reliably blooms each year sometime between November and January (just once per year). The spike is somewhat of a sequential bloomer so that as the older flowers fall off the bottom of the spike, new flowers are still developing at the top. In addition, spikes are sometimes generated one after another, instead of all at the same time. Last year, my yellow/orange epidendrum was in flower for 4+ months from start to finish!

christopher

What do you do to get yours to bloom? What kind of culture do you give it? I have one that I got in bloom and it hasn't been in bloom since. I spiked once, but it blasted all the buds and didn't bloom. So I duno what I did to get it to bloom or what do to to get it to rebloom. Its growing good though.

All three of my Epidendrum plants are in my sunroom/fireplace room which has windows facing south and west. They are potted in clay pots with bark media. They typically dry out between waterings and appear to tolerate that well. I have noticed that if I miss a watering or two, the lower leaves start to become limp, but they recover nicely when I pay attention to what I'm doing . I water with RO water (low concentration of fertilizer) 1-2 times per week and try to soak the media every 1-2 weeks.

With my current schedule I have a tendency to give many of my orchids the 'same' care, regardless of species. Right now I just don't have the time to pay more attention to individual needs. I've been lucky so far in that most of the plants I have seem to respond well to what I give them. Hope this helps!

christopher

Quote: "I picked this one up the other day on clearance." - Christopher

Wow, that's awesome. So the question is, where are you shopping? I'll have to venture your way sometime! (not totally kidding, I live in the southwest metro)

I'll be looking for these on my next shopping trip, I love it.

Matt E. (ME)

I found this one at Smith & Hawken on Grand/Victoria in St Paul - depending on who is working, they sometimes let the past bloom plants go for dirt cheap! I picked up a blooming size multifloral paph (NOID) for $10 last fall. If I can get it to rebloom, i'll post it to see if someone can identify it. Happy shopping!

christopher

Christopher

That is very pretty. Is that an Epi. radicans by chance? I received some cuttings about a year ago. They've grown very well, but I still haven't seen any flowers. Does your plant have roots coming out all over the stem?

Kevin

I didn't even know they had plants... I thought it was all upscale garden accessories. I'll have to check it out sometime, I know there's one a little closer to me at the Galleria (so I won't raid your buying ground!!!) (I'm out in the third tier southwest suburbs.)

I'm looking at your picture again, and it is FANTASTIC. Great buy! This is another one of those colors that seems "unreal", which is clearly a bad word to use for a plant, but I'm marking this thread down so I can refer back to the color to try to mix it with my oils next time I'm painting.

Thanks again for sharing it!

Matt

PS - any chance you could post a photo of the foliage on this?