Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Bug Bombs and Spider Mites?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Bug Bombs and Spider Mites?

Hello Everyone,

I have been having the worst trouble with spider mites in my greenhouse this winter. They haven't (as to my knowledge) affected any of my orchids yet, just other plants, but I have tried many remedies to kill them and have not had much luck. My mom suggested I just set off a bug bomb in there.
    Any thoughts? I've heard that bug bombs can also kill plants....but that there might exist a bug bomb that is "indoor and house plant" safe? Has anyone ever tried this? I am at my wits end with these stupid mites and would rather not throw out all the plants they are on.
    I can remove my orchids from the greenhouse while the bomb is going off, but just in case one or two mites have made it onto one of the orchids, I'd feel better "sterilizing" everything.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Katie

Real Name
    Matt
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catasetinae
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Katie. In my opinion due to experience with mite outdoor and indoor at varying home locations Bug Bombs can assist and cant hurt but I would recommend adhereing to the more applicable scientific side of mites and apply treatment. Bug bombs are to generalised and you will kill beneficial insects which no doubt assist in benefitting the man made ecological environment. For mites you need specific products as they are not insects and they are very very vigilant. They also show widespread resistance to products due to their fast rate evolving. Purchase a miticide/ ovacide. The chemistry is designed to attack and kill or least reduce populations through varying methods i.e systemic, translaminar, suffocation, dehyration ( follow instructions). Sterilisng your environment is still a good move. If your 'green' use the varying products/ concoctions that are easily available and recommended on here. Neem oil, washing up liquid, chiili, garlic, isopryl alcohol (not enthanol). Keep humidity high and since orchids detest high temps, cool it otherwise you will help mites reproduce rapidly. Fingers crossed I have had no probs with mites in last couple of years except one suspicion on a cymbidium. I took precautionary action anyway. Locally in the area surrounding me mites are colonised all over outside so i advise you to take strict control environmentally as the buggers are airborne. Always mist under leaves and use varied media to assist in increasing humidity.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Hi , My daughter had a problem with mites on her Phals . I used a granule systemic labeled for roses that listed spider mites it did the trick did not hurt her plants , also used a soap spray on them to get the ones on them until the systemic got into the plants system A lot of the bug sprays won't get them , Neem oil will but have to keep the plant out of the sun and some plants are sensitive to it . Also the soap spray will but have to use it every 3 days wash leaves then spray . If you have Phals . near the problem plants be sure to check them ..

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

If you do an online search you will find a listing for a bug bomb for spider mites, scale, and other pests that attack orchids and other greenhouse plants. I do not remember the name of it, but it was on a website for greenhouse supplies.

Real Name
    Leaf Mite
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    anything fragrant, miniatures
    Member's Country Flag

As long as you don't intend to eat any part of the plants (herbs, citus, etc.) the systemic for roses works like a charm. It does take time, though, but once it starts to work, you won't have any bug problems. I've just treated my jasmines and plumaria with it and will treat my hibiscus to begin getting them ready for autumn. You apply every six weeks for best results. Good luck!
    Leafmite
    Posted via Mobile Device