Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phragmipaphium

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Default Phragmipaphium

Don't know if this is real or verifiable, but I found it interesting, anyways:

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/peopl...ial/enbxm.html

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I saw that when it came out maybe a year or so ago...I was keenly interested but saw a photo of a brachy x cochlopetalum (somewhere else on his website, which I cannot find now) that was a dead ringer for that purported phragmipaphium flower (except the synsepal, of course). The phragmipaphium plant in his picture also has foliage that would be consistent with the pure paph cross. I asked him about it at the time and he gave a cryptic reply, possibly a little lost in the translation so to speak. From what I understood, a friend of his set that pod and he trusts him, although he was less than convinced by the result. I personally am not convinced at all (I once saw a bumper sticker that read "everyone is entitled to my opinion"), but I suppose honest mistakes and snafus are always happening. Too bad, I really would have been thrilled to see a true phragmipaphium.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Yeah.... The foliage is totally Maudiae type.

Well, maybe one day.....

Yes, I have also seen that picture and been to that website. I personally think it is BOGUS.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

The only phragmipaphium I've come across that made me think a while was the Hanes Magic cross. In Catherine Cash's slipper book (not a very good book but I was young and stupid and bought a book instead of another paph), there is a picture of Hanes Magic 'Bion' (Paph. stonei x Phrag. Albopurpureum or something like that), which was awarded an AD sometime in the 80s by the AOS for 'having characteristics of both parents'. The photo in this book was of the entire plant, and was rather poor-quality. Apparently someone studied the plant's chromosomes, and could not find any phrag chromosomes.

More recently, I saw a high-resolution picture of another clone of Hanes Magic, 'Medusa'. I have the pic somewhere on my other pc and will try to find it in the next few days and post it and infringe upon the copyrights of all involved. I remember thinking that it was clearly NOT stonei and clearly NOT a pure phrag, but I was not convinced that lighting and contrast didn't play some role in that effect. :check:

Jason,

Yes, do post that picture, I would like to see it. I also have Cash's slipper book which in my opinion is not that useful and is now very much outdated. Most photos in her book are of very poor quality including the one that you mentioned (I also doubt if that is for real but the picture is very bad).

Thanks!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Yes, just give me a few days to dig it up. Hopefully I have it somewhere...

I agree that the picture of Hanes Magic 'Bion' in Cash's book was less than convincing. The character recommendations of Mr. Hanes (who by all accounts is a decent fellow) were more convincing to me than that photo. Another tidbit that I heard--that plant grew well enough but was extremely reluctant to bloom, which fits that particular photo (massive plant, one or two spikes). I'll try to find the original description of that AD/AOS as well; apparently the judges were convincingly swayed. (But we all know how well the judges know caudatum vs. Grande and schlimii vs. Cardinale)...

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I just realized that my other (new) pc has no floppy drive, and here I am without a CD-R. So I looked on the web and found the pictures of Hanes Magic 'Medusa'; it is actually on Dr Tanaka's site.

hanes magic

Hanes Magic = paph stonei x phrag Albopurpureum. This is definitely not stonei, although it does seem to have that stonei dorsal--white, with few or no striping. The pouch looks to me like it resembles parishii or dianthum. I'd be interested to see stonei x parishii and compare it to this one.

I know nothing about what your talking about. I read that link, and it made no sense to me. Either way, that medusa one is cute, regardless of its actual cross.

Thanks, Jason!

Yes, I have actually seen that picture on that mentioned website and I doubt it is the real deal. I don't see any Phrag in that plant at all and you're so right the pouch resembles those of lowi, parishii and dianthum.