Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Culture help Wils. Pacific Perspective 'Pacific Heat'

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Culture help Wils. Pacific Perspective 'Pacific Heat'

Hi, just bought my first orchid last weekend a phalaenopsis which i can find tons of info on, but today i went back to nursery and they had different types of orchids for a show they had earlier. A bunch of pretty and different looking orchids and very hard to choose from but i ended up getting a Wils. Pacific Perspective 'Pacific Heat'. I have found very little on the internet about the care of this baby and was wondering if anybody could give me info on it.

How it likes its watering condition, how long it stays in bloom, how often it blooms, any info i should know. Or at least a website that has info on it. Thanks!

Real Name
    Byron Aguilar
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Lady Slippers and Cattleyas
    Member's Country Flag

you have a wilsonara (wils.) and its an intergeneric hybrids in the oncidium alliance. I have a wils. too but different from yours and i treat it as an oncidium and i think you should too =). i hope this info helps. GOOD LUCK.
    p.s. You should post up some pics!!!

nice, i'll have to look up info about that kinda species then

i think my main concern i have is my light problem, I don't really have a window that i put my orchids near cuz of my 1 year old daughter running around. I have them around my computer desk that has a N/W window that is 14ft away. A lamp with a 60 watt fluorescent bulb, but the shade around the bulb points the light up to the ceiling if that makes sense lol, if i place my hand over my plants it gives a very faint shadow which i read is not enough light for em. So i stole a small desk lamp from my wife which has a regular 40watt bulb that i have sat on the top part of my desk and judging by the shadow my hand gives now it gives me medium light. But my question is, can my plants live off light bulb lights, is that considered indirect light too?
    Also have a small fan setup and humidifier by my desk, but i'm not for sure if i'm going in right direction on the light part

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

You need much more light if you want your orchids to bloom. The window is too far away for any of its light to help, so your plants are relying on basically a 40W bulb. Wilsonara should be growing in 1500 – 2000 footcandles of light at a minimum. They will do better on the higher side of this measurement. Humidity will need to be between 40 and 60% to avoid wrinkled p-bulbs and leaves.

Is there a chance to move it closer to the window? Maybe a card table in front of the window that your daughter could not turn over? If you can get it closer to the window and increase their light, you will have much more success getting it to bloom for you.

Good luck.

Cheers,
    BD

Well it's already got blooms on it right now? so does it still need that much light? or only to get it to bloom it needs that much light?

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
    Well it's already got blooms on it right now? so does it still need that much light? or only to get it to bloom it needs that much light?
    hah.. no, to get it to rebloom in the future. Once it blooms, it can be grown in lower light conditions for awhile.

Cheers,
    BD

k, thanks for the info!

Well not the best pics, just took em with camera phone, but here is the blooms and base of my pacific heat, and then my 2 little phalaenopsis i got the weekend before that started this orchid frenzy of mine LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images    

how much light do oncidiums and phalaenopsis need while in bloom?

Can anybody tell me if mine requires the spike to be cut after flowering or to leave it? I was assuming to cut it, but have come across information that some oncidiums don't require their spike to be cut ever. What happens if u cut a spike on one that's not suppose to be cut?