Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Thank You!!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Karen Jones
    My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Smile Thank You!!

I just want to say thank you to all of the people who have provided information, articles and answers to questions for us newbies on this forum. I was flying blind when I got my first orchids. I didn't know what to do or how to do it. I ended up repotting some of my plants twice because I was not severe enough when pruning dead and water damaged roots. I wasn't sure about light, potting medium, the pots themselves, watering, fertilizer - nothing. I was sure that I had killed some of the plants that I bought and that it was just taking time for them to turn brown and die. Especially after I moved and had to put them outside due to a lack of space inside. However, it turns out that the exact opposite is true. I have healthy new root growth, new leads, and what I believe is a bud sheath emerging on one of them. It is all due to what I have learned from this forum, so I wanted to let you all know that it is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

That is indeed a flower sheath in the first picture and hopefully will see your cattelya flower. Don't be too disappointed if this first sheath doesn't produce a bloom because not all sheaths will automatically result in a bloom.

The third picture shows you how the cattleya and other sympodial orchids naturally behave - that is they grow on top of the potting medium and the roots grow down into the potting medium. Beginners ( and that includes myself when I started) tend to bury the plants too deep in the medium.

Your plants are looking good. Congrats.

Real Name
    Michael
    My Grow Area
    On a Windowsill.
    Member's Country Flag

Looking Good! Wish I had the light for Cats!