Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Is my Orchid dying?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Unhappy Is my Orchid dying?

I've had a lavender Phalaenopsis Orchid for about two months now. When I purchased the orchid I was living in a college dorm room, there were four bloomed flowers on the stem when I purchased it and three buds bloomed after purchase. I followed the directions and watered my orchid with three ice cubes once per week. Despite my attentive care, the flowers have wilted and fallen off the stem and the stem (from the final end to the second bump down) had turned yellow in color. There are eight healthy leaves on the orchid and appear to be surviving. Is my orchid dying?

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

It's normal for the flowers to fall off when they're done or if there is a change in environment. If the leaves are healthy and the roots are you should be ok. I don't have experience with the ice cube method. It's usually not recommended.

Real Name
    Stephen
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Rhynch/Brassavola/Angc
    Member's Country Flag

The ice cube method is horrible. Water your plant with room temp or a little warmer water. Ice cubes will kill it.

Real Name
    Marco

Ice cubes are killing your orchid and this is a big stress for the orchid, big enough for flower and bud drop. The yellowing of the flower stem is quite normal. I wrote an article about when and where to cut a Phalaenopsis flower stem, I just don’t know if I may post a link to that. So I am posting an excerpt from it to calm your fear about your orchid dying.

Phalaenopsis orchid flower stems have nodes with side-shoots arranged on its length. After flowering this flower stem dries by itself to the first such node, viewed from the end of the flower spike to the plant. Only then, this dry part of the flower stem, will be cut off. Process when this part of flower stem dries takes some time and it does not look nice. This is a problem because mostly Phalaenopsis orchids are meant to be for decoration purposes. That is probably why information about cutting flower stem to only three nodes can be found or heard. The idea is, to cut orchid flower spike after flowering, so that only three nodes remain, counting from the plant to the end of the flower spike.

Phalaenopsis orchids have the capability to make new flower spikes out of an old flower stem, from side-shoots. On such a side-shoot, new flower spike can grow much faster then if Phalenopsis orchid would have to grow completely new flower stem.

Real Name
    Betty
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    encyclia
    Member's Country Flag

It wouldn't hurt to cut off that entire flower stem, and give it a little fertilizer water. If it's properly taken care of, it will bloom again for you next year. Betty

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by orchid-flowers View Post
    .... I wrote an article about when and where to cut a Phalaenopsis flower stem, I just don’t know if I may post a link to that. So I am posting an excerpt from it to calm your fear about your orchid dying......
    Marco, feel free to republish your article in the OrchidTalk Orchid Article Library and then you can link to it anywhere appropriate in our site.

And if you ever have a question about links, please review the FAQs and if you are still not sure, send me a PM (private message) or use the contact us link at the bottom of any page of the site.

cheers,
    BD

How often should I water the plant this way?

My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    don't know yet
    Member's Country Flag

You will find a ton of helpful information here.

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...005-links.html

Real Name
    Marco

Thank you for your help and advice BD about article publishing and linking.

As for watering your Phalaenopsis jlwhhs07 – in short, it all comes down to watering it every 5 – 7 days if grown inside during summer and 7 – 10 days during winter. Substrate should never completely dry out, but it should be somewhat dry before watering your orchid again. Water it thoroughly with lots of water, at least 2 times the volume of the pot and the water should have room temperature or be slightly warmer. Remove all the excess water that comes out of the pot. Phalaenopsis should never stand in the water.